Is sulfuric acid and potassium hydroxide a Brønsted–Lowry acid–base reaction?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Saracen Rue
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Saracen Rue
Messages
150
Reaction score
10

Homework Statement


A solution of sulfuric acid is added to a solution of potassium hydroxide. Write a balanced equation for this and identify whether or not this is a Brønsted–Lowry acid–base reaction.

Homework Equations


N/A

The Attempt at a Solution


I understand how to write the equation just fine, and I've identified the type of reaction as being an acid + base = salt + water. However, I am unsure of if this is the same as a Brønsted–Lowry acid–base reaction. I am thinking they are different, but I don't really have any justification for this, so any help is greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A good starting place would be to review the definition of Bronsted-Lowry acids and bases and see if sulfuric acid and potassium hydroxide fit those definitions.
 
Also, see the main point where Bronsted Lowry becomes unique...That is, what makes it different from Arrhenius, or Lewis acid base pairs.
Good luck!