Is switching the order of integration helpful in evaluating double integrals?

• MHB
  • Thread starter harpazo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary: Thank you. I know it is a great tool to have in terms of multiple integrals. It takes a complicated or almost impossible double integral, in this case, and makes it easy to integrate.
harpazo
I just started learning double integrals. It is interestingly difficult. I know that switching dxdy to dydx can simplify the integration. I am not too clear why switching dxdy to dydx or vice-versa can make things easier.

Let S = integral symbol

SS [x/(1 + xy)] dxdy

Which is easier: SS [x/(1 + xy)] dxdy or
SS [x/(1 + xy)] dydx?

The region R is given to be:

{(x, y)| 0 less than or equal to x less than or equal to 1, 0 less than or equal to y less than or equal to 1 }.

What's the difference?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Harpazo,

What is your region of integration?

Euge said:
Hi Harpazo,

I forgot to include the region. I will now edit the question.

- - - Updated - - -

Euge said:
Hi Harpazo,

The question has been edited.

Isn't the region of integration just a square? Since there's no variation in either variable there won't be any difference in reversing the order of integration...

To integrate with respect to y first, let u= 1+ xy. Then du= xdy . When y= 0 u= 1 and when y= 1, u= 1+ x. The first integral becomes [tex]\int_1^x \frac{du}{u}du= \left[ln(u)\right]_1^x= ln(x+1)[/tex]. We now have [tex]\int_0^1 ln(x+1)dx[/tex].

The other order is a little harder because of that "x" in the numerator.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
To integrate with respect to y first, let u= 1+ xy. Then du= xdy . When y= 0 u= 1 and when y= 1, u= 1+ x. The first integral becomes [tex]\int_1^x \frac{du}{u}du= \left[ln(u)\right]_1^x= ln(x+1). We now have [tex]\int_0^1 ln(x+1)dx[/tex].

The other order is a little harder because of that "x" in the numerator.

Part of your LaTex reply did not display.

Harpazo said:
Part of your LaTex reply did not display.

I've edited that post to correct the problem.

greg1313 said:
I've edited that post to correct the problem.

What's the difference between integrating over dxdy as opposed to dydx for this problem?

Harpazo said:
What's the difference between integrating over dxdy as opposed to dydx for this problem?

What Prove It was trying to say above is that it makes no difference, because the region over which you are integrating is rectangular. If you have a triangle, or some region where $x$ and $y$ are interacting, then it can make a great deal of difference, and interchanging the order of integration is one of the standard tricks you should have in your toolbox.

Ackbach said:
What Prove It was trying to say above is that it makes no difference, because the region over which you are integrating is rectangular. If you have a triangle, or some region where $x$ and $y$ are interacting, then it can make a great deal of difference, and interchanging the order of integration is one of the standard tricks you should have in your toolbox.

Thank you. I know it is a great tool to have in terms of multiple integrals. It takes a complicated or almost impossible double integral, in this case, and makes it easy to integrate.

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral that involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in a two-dimensional plane. It can be thought of as finding the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space.

What is the purpose of using a double integral?

Double integrals are used to calculate the area, volume, or mass of a region in two-dimensional space. They are also used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities such as moments of inertia and center of mass.

How do you evaluate a double integral?

There are several methods for evaluating a double integral, including using iterated integrals, changing the order of integration, and using polar coordinates. The method used depends on the complexity of the function and the region being integrated over.

What is the difference between a single integral and a double integral?

A single integral involves integrating a function of one variable over an interval, while a double integral involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in two-dimensional space. Single integrals can be thought of as finding the area under a curve, while double integrals can be thought of as finding the volume under a surface.

In what fields of science are double integrals commonly used?

Double integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to solve problems involving areas, volumes, and mass distributions. They are also used in statistics and economics to calculate probabilities and expected values.