Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the allotropy of nitrogen tetranitrogen,

1. Jun 22, 2012 #1
    if so is the only way to obtain it is to increase pressure and decrease pressure, and how long can it be maintained because online it says it can only exist for a microsecond, but if pressure and temperature is maintained why can it not be maintained longer

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Do you have a link to something with more information than the wikipedia article? I looked there but couldn't find anything saying it was created at high pressures or anything.

4. Jun 23, 2012 #3
    I can't find the link now, but it was a yahoo answers link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetranitrogen

But I read on allotropies and it says that high pressures and change in temperatures are needed. Sadly there really is not that much information online on this subject. I couldnt even find the temperature and pressure required even that is the correct method of producing it.

My main two inquiries are if temperature and pressure is maintained would tetranitrogen still be short lived and also what temperatures and pressure is needed

5. Jun 23, 2012 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Without knowing how it is created, and if it is even created under high pressures, I don't think we can answer that. But I am not an expert on this, so I could be wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook