Is the allotropy of nitrogen tetranitrogen,

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ybhathena
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Nitrogen
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
ybhathena
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
if so is the only way to obtain it is to increase pressure and decrease pressure, and how long can it be maintained because online it says it can only exist for a microsecond, but if pressure and temperature is maintained why can it not be maintained longer
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a link to something with more information than the wikipedia article? I looked there but couldn't find anything saying it was created at high pressures or anything.
 
I can't find the link now, but it was a yahoo answers link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetranitrogen

But I read on allotropies and it says that high pressures and change in temperatures are needed. Sadly there really is not that much information online on this subject. I couldn't even find the temperature and pressure required even that is the correct method of producing it.

My main two inquiries are if temperature and pressure is maintained would tetranitrogen still be short lived and also what temperatures and pressure is needed
 
Without knowing how it is created, and if it is even created under high pressures, I don't think we can answer that. But I am not an expert on this, so I could be wrong.