Calculating Nitrogen percentage in food products.

In summary, the conversation discussed an issue with nitrogen levels in food packaging at a food manufacturing company. The individual conducting the conversation took 100 samples and found that higher nitrogen flow rates resulted in less deviation in results, but there were still occasional high values. Suggestions were made to check for pipe blockages or obstructions and to determine if there were holes in the packaging or defects in the product causing oxygen to be released. It was also mentioned that using 100% nitrogen gas and measuring oxygen levels in the packaging were part of the process. There was uncertainty about the exact cause, but the possibility of too much flow rate or a longer process time were mentioned.
brobertson89
I just thought I would ask some people's opinions about this as I am stuck on what to do.

I am currently working for a food manufacturing company that pack their food with nitrogen gas to increase shelf life. However they have an acceptable limit of how much nitrogen can be within the product. Recently they have had some products that have come close to breaching this limit.

The trouble is they do not know why every so often one item does.

I took 100 samples of the products with two various nitrogen flow rates and it turns out that the deviation in the results of a higher flow rate is quite less then compared to the ones with a lower flow rate. However there still is the one or two randomly high values.

The flow rates i tested were 16 and 14 m^3 / h with a pressure of about 3 bar.

I am really stuck on what it could be. Does anyone have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Off hand I would suggest a careful study of the equipment being used.

Try getting the maintenance dept. to check for pipe blockages or obstructions, we have had this with some lines in the workshop recently

Are you guys using 100% nitrogen or a mixture of different gases?
Also, what do you mean by "how much nitrogen within the product"? The amount that gets absorbed by the food? The amount in the packaging?

Drakkith said:
Are you guys using 100% nitrogen or a mixture of different gases?
Also, what do you mean by "how much nitrogen within the product"? The amount that gets absorbed by the food? The amount in the packaging?

yes it is 100% nitrogen gas

it is a test of how much is in the packaging, we measure the oxygen percentage in the pack by putting a prob with a seal through the package

rc1102 said:
Try getting the maintenance dept. to check for pipe blockages or obstructions, we have had this with some lines in the workshop recently

sorry i forgot to mention that we have done this, my other guess is that there may be leakages in the pipe work

I have decided my next cause of action is to find out whether the packages have holes in them and this is the cause or to see whether the product has defects which are entrapping oxygen and then braking whilst within the packaging, releasing the oxygen.

What do you think, are these possible causes?

I really don't know, but it sounds like you are either getting too much flow rate or the process is going on for slightly too long, causing more nitrogen to build up. A leak wouldn't let ONLY the oxygen out.

1. How is nitrogen percentage calculated in food products?

The nitrogen percentage in food products is calculated by multiplying the protein content by a factor of 6.25. This is because on average, proteins contain 16% nitrogen, so dividing the protein content by 0.16 gives the nitrogen percentage.

2. Why is it important to calculate nitrogen percentage in food products?

Knowing the nitrogen percentage in food products is important because it can provide valuable information about the protein content in the food. This can be used for nutritional labeling, quality control, and to ensure that the food meets regulatory standards.

3. What methods are used to calculate nitrogen percentage in food products?

The most common method used to calculate nitrogen percentage in food products is the Kjeldahl method, which involves digesting the sample with sulfuric acid and then distilling the resulting solution to convert the nitrogen into ammonia. The ammonia is then titrated with a known solution to determine the nitrogen content. Other methods include the Dumas method and the combustion method.

4. Are there any limitations to calculating nitrogen percentage in food products?

One limitation of calculating nitrogen percentage in food products is that it assumes all nitrogen in the food comes from protein, which may not always be the case. Some foods may contain other nitrogen-containing compounds such as nucleic acids or non-protein nitrogen, which can lead to inaccurate results. Additionally, factors such as moisture content and sample preparation can also affect the accuracy of the calculation.

5. Can nitrogen percentage be converted to protein percentage in food products?

Yes, nitrogen percentage can be converted to protein percentage by multiplying the nitrogen percentage by the appropriate conversion factor. This factor varies depending on the type of protein present in the food. For example, animal proteins have a conversion factor of 6.25, while plant proteins may have a factor of 5.7. However, this conversion may not be accurate if there are other nitrogen-containing compounds present in the food.