Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the delta in the commutation relations of QFT a dirac delta or a kronecker?

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1
    If it's a dirac delta doesn't it mean it's infinite when x=y? Or is it a sort of kronecker where it's equal to one but the indices x and y are continuous? I'm confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2012 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

Both the Dirac and Kronecker deltas can occur in QFT.

Post a specific example of a CR you don't understand...

4. Jun 19, 2012 #3

haushofer

Science Advisor

In QFT you can have commutation relations like

[tex]
    [\phi^i (x), \pi_j (y)] = \delta^_i \delta^{(D)}(x-y)
    [/tex]

where phi and pi are conjugate fields, of which you can have, say, N, and D is the dimension of spacetime.

The first delta states that these fields don't commutate if they are different components. That's a Kronecker delta. The second is a distribution, and is there because the fields are really distributions. These kind of relations only make sense if you integrate them with a test function. Otherwise you would naively say that the commutator blows up if x=y.

You can compare it with the commutators in QM; those only make sense if you apply them to a wave function.

5. Jun 20, 2012 #4
    Are all operators distributions then, and not just commutators? In QM, X and P are distributions. In QFT, creation/annihilation operators and fields are distributions?

6. Jun 20, 2012 #5
    Could you elaborate on this?

7. Jun 20, 2012 #6
    I was just asking haushofer a question. He said fields in QFT are distributions, and I was wondering why. He said you integrate them over test functions, so I was wondering if he meant that any linear operator is a distribution in QM, e.g.,

<x|P|x'> takes ψ(x') and maps it to:

<x|P|ψ>=-i d/dx[ψ(x)]

I have no idea what he meant, so I just wanted to learn :)

8. Jun 21, 2012 #7

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

In QFT fields are operator-valued distributions where (in position space) x is a "continuous index". The delta-distribution is the identity-operator.

In QM the operators are X (and P, ...) - no fields - and there is only a discrete index (i=1,2,3, ... for dimensions etc.) and therefore you get a Kronecker delta as identity-operator. The delta-function in QM is not an operator but a matrix element.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook