How Are the Kronecker Delta and Dirac Delta Related?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Another
Messages
104
Reaction score
5
I want to know if these functions are related?
for example. I can write Dirac delta in term Delta Kronecker from?

Where can I learn these?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Another said:
I want to know if these functions are related?
for example. I can write Dirac delta in Delta Kronecker from?

Where can I learn these?
What do you mean? Your question sounds like: Are the Greek P and the Latin P related? Where can I learn when to use which?

We usually have a function written in a certain way and the context defines the symbols, not the other way around. E.g. "D" can mean: domain, differential operator, a vertex of a polygon, an area, a derivation, or whatever an author uses it for, if he runs out of standard notations.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Another
Another said:
I want to know if these functions are related?
for example. I can write Dirac delta in term Delta Kronecker from?

Where can I learn these?
Good question. They are related. Let ##f:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}## be a continuous function with compact support; and let ##F:\mathbb{Z}\to\mathbb{R}## be a function
Compare:
$$\int_{\mathbb{R}}\delta(x-y)f(x)dx=f(y);\quad \sum_{i\in \mathbb{Z}}F(i)\delta_{ij}=F(j)$$
 
Last edited: