Is the Function f(x)= (x+1)/(1-√(1-x)) Derivable at x0=1⁻?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mohlam12
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Function
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 5K views
mohlam12
Messages
153
Reaction score
0
Hey everyone
I was going through some problems and I came across this one, it said to see if the fuction below is derivable in the point [tex]x_{0}=1^{-}[/tex]
[tex]f(x)=\frac{x+1}{1-\sqrt{1-x}}[/tex]

so I did this as usual,
limit of [tex]\frac{f(x)-f(1)}{x-1}[/tex] when x -> 1, and x<1 is equal to the limit of:

[tex]\frac{x-1+2\sqrt{1-x}}{(x-1)(1-\sqrt{1-x}}[/tex]but I really don't know what to do after! I tried to multiply the top and bottom with "x+2sqrt(1-x)" but with no satisfying results.

Any help would be appreciated!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "derivable"?

Obviously, for [tex]x>1[/tex] you get complex solutions, and [tex]f(x)\rightarrow\pm\infty[/tex] as [tex]x\rightarrow0[/tex] (- from left, + from right)...

I wrote it as:

[tex]f(x)=\frac{(x+1)(1+\sqrt{1-x})}{x}[/tex]
 
Maybe I meant differentiable... sorry!
what I need to find the limit of is this function [tex]f(x)=\frac{x-1+2\sqrt{1-x}}{(x-1)(1-\sqrt{1-x})}[/tex] as [tex]x\rightarrow1^{-}[/tex]
Thank you
 
Wait, can you copy exactly what the problem says please. I dunno, but f(1) is undefined, so the function is not differentiable at x = 1.
 
VietDao29 said:
Wait, can you copy exactly what the problem says please. I dunno, but f(1) is undefined, so the function is not differentiable at x = 1.
Why undefined?

Because [tex]\sqrt{0}[/tex]?

As you approach from the left, it tends to 2 tho'...

(and the derivative goes to [tex]\infty[/tex]?)
 
Last edited:
mohlam12 said:
Maybe I meant differentiable... sorry!
what I need to find the limit of is this function [tex]f(x)=\frac{x-1+2\sqrt{1-x}}{(x-1)(1-\sqrt{1-x})}[/tex] as [tex]x\rightarrow1^{-}[/tex]
Thank you

The limit of that expression is easy enough to find. Just substitute [tex]u = \sqrt{1-x}[/tex]

But I don't know what your question is asking, or, frankly, what you're trying to accomplish on the whole. Post the question verbatim, please.
 
[tex]f(x)=\frac{x-1}{(x-1)(1-\sqrt{1-x})}+\frac{2}{1-x-\sqrt{1-x}}[/tex]
the first one's lim=1 and second one's lim=0
 
J77 said:
Why undefined?

Because [tex]\sqrt{0}[/tex]?

As you approach from the left, it tends to 2 tho'...

(and the derivative goes to [tex]\infty[/tex]?)
Ack, ack, doing maths late is never good... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Okay, for mohlam12's question, have you considered factoring the [tex]\sqrt{1 - x}[/tex] out in the numerator?
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1 ^ -} \frac{x - 1 + 2 \sqrt{1 - x}}{(x - 1) (1 - \sqrt{1 - x})} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 1 ^ -} \frac{\sqrt{1 - x} (\sqrt{1 - x} - 2)}{(1 - x) (1 - \sqrt{1 - x})} = ...[/tex]
You can go from here, right? :)
Sorry for such confusion... My bad :frown:
 
Yup, I can go from here, thanks. I just didn't have that idea to factor with [tex]\sqrt{1-x}[/tex]