Is the Function f(x) = x + 2 Unlimited on the Set of Real Numbers?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Дьявол
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Function Set
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
Дьявол
Messages
365
Reaction score
0
Здравствуйте!

How will I prove that some function f(x) is unlimited of some set E[itex]\subseteq[/itex]Df, where Df is the domain of the function, or the values of x, which can be used in the function.
For example:

How will I prove that this function f(x)=x+2 is unlimited for E=R (set of real numbers)?

Спасибо за помощь!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
By "unlimited" I presume you mean what I would call unbounded "unbounded".
Pretty much any time you are asked to prove "f is ****", where **** is some word, you prove it by showing that f satisfies the definition of ****.

A function is unbounded if it is both unbounded above and unbounded below.

A function is unbounded above if, given any number Y, there exist x such that f(x)> Y.
A function is unbounded below if, given any number Y, there exist x such that f(x)< Y.


Given any Y, is there an x such that x+ 2> Y?

Given any Y, is there an x such that x+ 2< Y?

For that simple function, it is just a matter of solving the inequalities.
 
I think you're right, but also in my book there is |f(x)|>Y, and that means f(x)>Y and -f(x)>Y, or f(x)<-Y.

So x+2>Y and
x+2<-Y

x>Y-2

Let's say x=Y-1, so:

[tex]|f(x)|=|x+2|=|Y-1+2|=|Y+1|=Y+1>Y[/tex], for every [itex]Y \geq 0[/itex].

x<-2-Y

x=-3-Y

[tex]|f(x)=|x+2|=|-3-Y+2|=|-Y-1|=-Y-1<-Y[/tex], for every [itex]Y \geq 0[/itex]

So |f(x)|>K , for [itex]K \in \mathbb{R}[/itex].

Did I solved it correctly?
 
Last edited:
Дьявол said:
I think you're right, but also in my book there is |f(x)|>Y, and that means f(x)>Y and -f(x)>Y, or f(x)<-Y.
Well, yes, but those are equivalent definitions. If you can find a number X so that f(x)> X and a number Z so that f(x)< Z, take Y to be the larger of |X| and |Z|.

So x+2>Y and
x+2<-Y

x>Y-2

Let's say x=Y-1, so:

[tex]|f(x)|=|x+2|=|Y-1+2|=|Y+1|=Y+1>Y[/tex], for every [itex]Y \geq 0[/itex].

x<-2-Y

x=-3-Y

[tex]|f(x)=|x+2|=|-3-Y+2|=|-Y-1|=-Y-1<-Y[/tex], for every [itex]Y \leq 0[/itex]

So |f(x)|>K , for [itex]K \in \mathbb{R}[/itex].

Did I solved it correctly?[/QUOTE]

Yes.
 
Just to correct, one mistake of mine. It is [itex]Y \geq 0[/itex], down on the second function written with LateX.

Also I think that in my book, the autors use |f(x)|>K (for unbounded functions), because |f(x)|<K is bounded of it (the opposite one, vice versa).

But also your statement is also good. f(x)>K and f(x)<K. Also in some cases maybe it is better to use [itex]|f(x)| \leq K[/itex].
 
Sorry, for posting in same topic. I did not know if I need to open new topic.
I want to ask you about this problem.
The problem is to prove that f(x)=x+sinx ; E=R

So, |f(x)|>Y

x+sinx>Y

x=Y+2

Y+2+sin(Y+2)>Y

sin(Y+2)>-2

Which is correct.

So |f(x)|=|x+sinx|=|Y+2+sin(Y+2)|=Y+2+sin(Y+2)>Y

Is this good?
 
While the order in which you listed things makes it slightly confusing to see what you are doing, it looks like the right idea is there
 
Дьявол said:
Sorry, for posting in same topic. I did not know if I need to open new topic.
I want to ask you about this problem.
The problem is to prove that f(x)=x+sinx ; E=R
do you mean you want to prove that f(x) is unbounded?

So, |f(x)|>Y

x+sinx>Y

x=Y+2

Y+2+sin(Y+2)>Y

sin(Y+2)>-2

Which is correct.
Which is certainly NOT correct! "x+ sin x> Y" does NOT imply x= Y+2! I think what you meant to say was that [itex]-1\le sin x\le 1[/itex] for all x so [itex]x- 1\le x+ sin x\le x+ 1.<br /> Now, given in Y, if x> Y+1, x+ sin x> Y+1- 1= Y if x< Y+1, x+ sin x< Y+1- 1= Y.<br /> <br /> <br /> <blockquote data-attributes="" data-quote="" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch"> <div class="bbCodeBlock-content"> <div class="bbCodeBlock-expandContent js-expandContent "> So |f(x)|=|x+sinx|=|Y+2+sin(Y+2)|=Y+2+sin(Y+2)>Y<br /> <br /> Is this good? </div> </div> </blockquote>[/itex]
 
If [tex]-1\leq sinx \leq 1[/tex], then [tex]-1+x\leq sinx+x\leq 1+x[/tex].

So if x+sinx > x-1 >Y; so x-1>Y ; x>Y+1

x=Y+2

|f(x)|=|x+sinx|=Y+2+sin(Y+2)>Y;

I think we got the same thing. Why you think it is not correct?
 
HallsofIvy said:
Which is certainly NOT correct! "x+ sin x> Y" does NOT imply x= Y+2! I think what you meant to say was that [itex]-1\le sin x\le 1[/itex] for all x so [itex]x- 1\le x+ sin x\le x+ 1.<br /> Now, given in Y, if x> Y+1, x+ sin x> Y+1- 1= Y if x< Y+1, x+ sin x< Y+1- 1= Y.[/itex]
[itex] <br /> I think you got it backwards, reading it I interpreted it as intending to say x=Y+2 implies x+sinx>Y (hence proving the function is unbounded)[/itex]
 
Either way, there is no need to connect the argument of the sine with Y at all.
 
Ok, we got: x+sinx > x-1 >Y; so x-1>Y ; x>Y+1

But where does this x+ sin x> Y+1- 1= Y if x< Y+1, x+ sin x< Y+1- 1= Y comes from?

Thanks in advance.
 
Дьявол said:
Ok, we got: x+sinx > x-1 >Y; so x-1>Y ; x>Y+1

But where does this x+ sin x> Y+1- 1= Y if x< Y+1, x+ sin x< Y+1- 1= Y comes from?

Thanks in advance.
That was a typo on my part. What I meant to say was "If x< Y- 1, then x+ sin x< Y-1+ sin x and, since [itex]sin x\le 1[/itex], [itex]x+ sin x\le Y-1+ 1= Y[/itex] so that Y is not a lower bound for x+ sin x.