Is the Graph of y = x^x Significant?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter meee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Graph
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
16 replies · 5K views
meee
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
Heyyhey...just wondering, is the graph of y = x^x significant in anyway?

it looks kinda weird...?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Chinese cooks usually put the spaghetti threads in that particular shape on your plate.

Other than that, I don't know if that graph is "significant".
 
benorin said:
it is particularly weird for x<0, being that it takes complex values there...
The Chinese have never liked the negatives.
 
I can't get mathematica to plot this function for negative values. Anyone know how I can do it?
 
I think someone has already answered your question.
it is particularly weird for x<0, being that it takes complex values there...
 
I fail to see how I would be unable to plot it.
 
Dragonfall said:
I can't get mathematica to plot this function for negative values. Anyone know how I can do it?

Yep, just do Plot[{y=x^2},{x,-10,10}] and you get all the values from -10 to 10 of this super significant function x^x.
 
arunbg said:
Complex meaning they are imaginary.
Try x=-1/2

Mathematica can plot complex functions, and this function in particular because it's R->C.

heartless said:
Yep, just do Plot[{y=x^2},{x,-10,10}] and you get all the values from -10 to 10 of this super significant function x^x.

How does plotting x^2 give me all the values of x^x?
 
Last edited:
meee said:
thnx cool guys... what's the derivative of y=x^x ?
[tex]y=x^x=e^{\ln{x^x}}=e^{x\ln{x}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=(1+\ln{x})e^{x\ln{x}}=(1+\ln{x})x^x[/tex]
 
It is much more interesting and informative to plot the hyperpower function [tex]f(x) = x^{x^{x^{x^{...}}}}[/tex]

Find the upper bound of x for which that function is defined and see if you can spot the relationship of that bound to a famous constant.
 
Last edited:
LeonhardEuler said:
[tex]y=x^x=e^{\ln{x^x}}=e^{x\ln{x}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=(1+\ln{x})e^{x\ln{x}}=(1+\ln{x})x^x[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=x^x(1+\ln{x})[/tex] is not real when x is a real negative number, yet if x is negative and of the form [tex]x=\frac{p}{2q+1}[/tex], where p,q are positive or negative integers, then y is real. Curious, no? It has to do with the complex branch-cut structure of [tex]y=x^x=e^{x\ln{x}+2k\pi ix},k=0,\pm 1, \pm 2,\ldots[/tex].

Source: "A Course of Modern Analysis" by Whittaker & Watson, pg. 107.
 
benorin said:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=x^x(1+\ln{x})[/tex] is not real when x is a real negative number, yet if x is negative and of the form [tex]x=\frac{p}{2q+1}[/tex], where p,q are positive or negative integers, then y is real. Curious, no? It has to do with the complex branch-cut structure of [tex]y=x^x=e^{x\ln{x}+2k\pi ix},k=0,\pm 1, \pm 2,\ldots[/tex].

Source: "A Course of Modern Analysis" by Whittaker & Watson, pg. 107.

I'm not sure about this, certainly for x in that domain and of that form, a real value of y exists if y is defined to be multivalued.

But if the principal value of ln(x) is used, which is [tex]Ln(x) + \pi i[/tex], then the value of y returned won't necessarily be real, right? :confused:

Sorry, I don't know that much about complex analysis, just the basics. I do know the principal branch for ln x, but not the one for x^x. I would've assumed it would be based on the branch cut of the log function, giving [tex]x^x = e^{x Ln(x)} = e^{x ln(|x|) + i\pi x} = \frac{\cos{(\pi |x|)} - i\sin{(\pi |x|)}}{|x|^{|x|}}[/tex] (for negative real x) which would not necessarily return real values even for x of the form [tex]\frac{n}{2k+1}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
I've always liked that the only critical point of [tex]f(x) = x^x[/tex] is
[tex]x = \frac{1}{e}[/tex]