Is the Lowest Possible Spin of Particle p 2 in Decay Scenarios?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter MarkovMarakov
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Particle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
MarkovMarakov
Messages
32
Reaction score
1
Does the following argument correct?

Suppose there is a particle $p$ that can either decay into $ \{$a spin-1 and a spin-0 particle$\}$ or two spin-0 particles, then the lowest possible spin of $p$ is 2. This is because we need the spin to be even and large enough to accommodate the spin-1 product.
(Assuming that the total ang momentum is conserved in the decay.)


Thank you in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ADDED:

[itex]p[/itex] is such that [itex]p\to \pi^-+\rho^+[/itex] and [itex]p\to \xi+\xi[/itex] where [itex]\xi[/itex] is a particle of spin 0. I want to know the lowest possible spin for [itex]p[/itex].
I am assuming that conservation of total angular momentum and parity holds.

By the way, would the intrinsic parity of [itex]p[/itex] be negative, since I think each of [itex]\rho^+[/itex] and [itex]\pi^-[/itex] have negative intrinsic parity?