Is the Magnitude of the Fly's Acceleration Constant in a Helical Path?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 4K views
Ravenatic20
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
I hope I posted in the right place. Sorry in advanced.

Homework Statement


A buzzing fly moves in a helical path given by the equation
r(t) = ib sin [tex]\omega[/tex]t + jb cos [tex]\omega[/tex]t + kct[tex]^{2}[/tex]
Show that the magnitude of the acceleration of the fly is constant, provided b, [tex]\omega[/tex], and c are constant.

The Attempt at a Solution


x = b sin [tex]\omega[/tex]t
y = b cos [tex]\omega[/tex]t
z = ct[tex]^{2}[/tex]

In class we did a similar problem, but in that problem we had to find the trajectory in space. I'm a little slow, but it's just not helping me with this one. Same with the textbook. I'll go to my teacher if I have to.

I'm not asking someone to do the problem, just get me started. Once that happens, I'll try to go over it here in case I have more questions. Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The acceleration is the second derivative of r(t) with respect to t. What is that?
 
Dick said:
The acceleration is the second derivative of r(t) with respect to t. What is that?

The first derivative:
ib[tex]\omega[/tex] cos [tex]\omega[/tex]t - jb[tex]\omega[/tex] sin [tex]\omega[/tex]t + 2kct

Second derivative:
-ib[tex]\omega[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] sin [tex]\omega[/tex]t - jb[tex]\omega[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] cos [tex]\omega[/tex]t + 2kc

Is that right?
 
Ravenatic20 said:
Second derivative:
-ib[tex]\omega[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] sin [tex]\omega[/tex]t - jb[tex]\omega[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] cos [tex]\omega[/tex]t + 2kc

Is that right?

Sure; that;s correct :approve:...But very ugly!:wink: Try writing the entire equation inside the [ tex] or [ itex] tags instead:

[tex]\mathbf{a}(t)=-b\omega^2\sin(\omega t)\mathbf{i}-b\omega^2\cos(\omega t)\mathbf{j}+2c\mathbf{k}[/tex]

(You can click on the above equation to see the code that generated it)

Now, as Nabeshin said, calculate the magnitude :smile:
 
Thank you guys :)

Now what is the first step in calculating the magnitude? I am used to plugging in numbers to do that.
 
You know what the x,y, and z-components of a are, so square them, add the squares, and take the square root as per usual.

[tex]||\mathbf{a}||=\sqrt{a_x^2+a_y^2+a_y^2}[/tex]
 
So I take [tex]\mathbf{a}[/tex] (the second derivative above), and factor in x for the first part. So it would look like this:

[tex]\mathbf{a_x}(t)=[-b\omega^2\sin(\omega t)\mathbf{i}-b\omega^2\cos(\omega t)\mathbf{j}+2c\mathbf{k}*\mathbf{b}sin(\omega t)]^2[/tex], where [tex]\mathbf{b}sin(\omega t)[/tex] is x.

Then do the same thing for y and z, add the terms up, and take the square root. Am I on the right track? Then I simplify as much as possible?
 
Ravenatic20 said:
So I take [tex]\mathbf{a}[/tex] (the second derivative above), and factor in x for the first part. So it would look like this:

[tex]\mathbf{a_x}(t)=[-b\omega^2\sin(\omega t)\mathbf{i}-b\omega^2\cos(\omega t)\mathbf{j}+2c\mathbf{k}*\mathbf{b}sin(\omega t)]^2[/tex], where [tex]\mathbf{b}sin(\omega t)[/tex] is x.

Then do the same thing for y and z, add the terms up, and take the square root. Am I on the right track? Then I simplify as much as possible?

Huh?!:confused:

No! [itex]a_x[/itex] is the x-component of a...that's just [itex]-b\omega^2\sin(\omega t)[/itex]...what are
[itex]a_y[/itex] and [itex]a_z[/itex]?
 
gabbagabbahey said:
Huh?!:confused:

No! [itex]a_x[/itex] is the x-component of a...that's just [itex]-b\omega^2\sin(\omega t)[/itex]...what are
[itex]a_y[/itex] and [itex]a_z[/itex]?
Thank you. I always over complicate things. I believe I know how to do it now.

To answer your question, y is [tex]-b\omega^2\cos(\omega t)[/tex] and z is [tex]2c[/tex]
Now I square them, add them up, and take the square root of that sum (this:[tex]||\mathbf{a}||=\sqrt{a_x^2+a_y^2+a_y^2}[/tex]). Correct?