Is the new Bionic Woman living up to the hype?

• Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
In summary: It's more like you use the powerful stuff to help the artificial limb do what it's supposed to do. In summary, the writing is good, but I don't think the physics are accurate.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Has anyone been following NBC's Bionic Woman? Do you like it so far? How would you compare to the "Golden Oldies" Bionic Woman or Six Million Dollar Man?

On a related topic: how's she for a "robot" wife?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EnumaElish said:
Has anyone been following NBC's Bionic Woman? Do you like it so far? How would you compare to the "Golden Oldies" Six Million Dollar Man?
Wouldn't it be more appropriate to compare it to the old "Bionic Woman" show?

Evo said:
Wouldn't it be more appropriate to compare it to the old "Bionic Woman" show?
It wasn't "on" at my spacetime coordinates.

But, I've looked at the IMDB page just now, and it looks likeable.

Will edit OP in light of it.

I haven't watched it. Can I say I really like "Reaper" the comedy remake of "Brimstone"? Usually I hate remakes, but Reaper as a comedy is so different from the original that it really works. I'd say it's better than "Pushing up daisies".

I hadn't realized that the "remade" bionic woman was of the EastEnders "fame." (Nor, that she is British.)

Does she still have a mockney accent and mulch around with a permanent scowl on her face? :biggrin:

No making fun of Lindsay Wagner. She was my babe back in the day.

I mean Michelle 'Zoe Slater' Ryan :smile:

You can watch full episodes on nbc.com. Also check out journeyman and heroes. (both sci-fi, full episodes on-line)

70's writing, IMO, was lame even in the 70's. Writers were under pressure from execs with IQs less than 46, and whom had never read a sci-fi short story or novel in their lives (because they didn't know how to read--they only knew how to talk loudly in restaurants)

I've only watched three episodes and thought the writing was fairly good. Let's hope the execs stay out of the writer's office. Looking at a middle aged Michael Ferrar is like watching his dad (Jose') 30 years ago--uncanny resemblance. I think Michael's a better actor than his dad--or maybe he listens to the director.

As far as the physics goes... no. You can't put new wine in old wine skins without a mess, and you can't mount pneumatic machinery on a human skeleton without a mess. Also the brain interface stuff is a crock. But I know to suspend my scientific knowledge when watching a sci fi, so that I can enjoy it.

fleem said:
you can't mount pneumatic machinery on a human skeleton without a mess. Also the brain interface stuff is a crock. But I know to suspend my scientific knowledge when watching a sci fi, so that I can enjoy it.
What about electric servomotors? Hasn't there been a lot of advancement in artificial limbs?

EnumaElish said:
What about electric servomotors? Hasn't there been a lot of advancement in artificial limbs?

I should say you can't mount powerful stuff and then use it--it'd break the rest of her skeleton.

1. What is the premise of the show Bionic Woman?

The show follows the story of a woman named Jaime Sommers who is given bionic enhancements after a near-fatal accident. She must navigate her new abilities while working for a secret government agency.

2. Who stars in the Bionic Woman?

The lead role of Jaime Sommers is played by actress Michelle Ryan. Other notable cast members include Miguel Ferrer, Molly Price, and Katee Sackhoff.

3. When was the original Bionic Woman series released?

The original Bionic Woman series premiered in 1976 and ran for three seasons. It was a spin-off of the popular show The Six Million Dollar Man.

4. How many episodes are there in the new Bionic Woman series?

The 2007 reboot of Bionic Woman only ran for one season, consisting of 8 episodes. It was cancelled due to low ratings.

5. Are there any connections to the original Bionic Woman series?

Yes, the 2007 series makes several references to the original show, including the appearance of actress Lindsay Wagner (the original Bionic Woman) in a guest role. It also features a similar plotline and characters as the original series.