What distance does a canoe move when a woman walks across it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter anthonych414
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
anthonych414
Messages
86
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 45.0-kg woman stads up in a 60-kg canoe 5.00 m long. She walks from a point 1.00 m from one end to a point 1.00 m from the other end. If you ignore resistance to motion of the canoe in water, how far does the canoe move during this process.

Homework Equations



p=mv
J=p2-p1
p1=p2

The Attempt at a Solution



I guess I should try to make the momentum before and after equal, but I don't know how to relate that to the distance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since there is no external force acting on the system in the direction of motion, you can use the fact that the position of center of mass remains unchanged. Draw out a diagram, and frame equations making sure that the COM stays same.
 
hi anthonych414! :smile:

hint: what happens to the centre of mass? :wink:
 
Right, the center of mass! I can't believe I didn't think of it! I feel silly... Anyway thanks for the help guys :D