Is the Non-relativistic Schrodinger Equation the right one?

In summary, the speaker is an economics major with a love for quantum physics. They want to get a tattoo of an equation representing wave-particle duality but are unsure if it is the correct one. They ask for a conceptual breakdown of the equation to fully understand it. However, the expert summarizer advises against getting the tattoo, as the equation may not be fully accurate and it could lead to ridicule from the physics community.
gmehra
Okay, so I'm actually an economics major but I LOVE physics; especially quantum physics. Unfortunately my knowledge of physics is limited only to the conceptual side of physics (something I'm working on changing). I spent a lot of time thinking of getting a tattoo I really wanted and settled on the equation describing wave particle duality (it looks awesome and also has significant philosophical implications). I just wanted to makesure this is the equation that I'm looking for. Thanks in advance, and if anyone could break down the components of this equation in a conceptual way so that I could understand it completely - well that'd just be awesome. Thanks in advance!
27734849d22b4b26bd85be1a1435ba2e.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't get a tattoo about an equation that you need clarified.

That being said, that is likely the equation you're looking for, except the right side is more appropriately written Hpsi, rather than the expanded form you have.

If you do that, you can look forward to a lifetime of pity from the physics community for your folly.

1. What is the Non-relativistic Schrodinger Equation?

The Non-relativistic Schrodinger Equation is a mathematical equation used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a non-relativistic particle, meaning a particle that is not moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light. It is a fundamental equation that helps us understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems.

2. How is the Non-relativistic Schrodinger Equation different from the Relativistic Schrodinger Equation?

The Non-relativistic Schrodinger Equation is a simplified version of the Relativistic Schrodinger Equation, which takes into account the effects of special relativity on particles moving at high speeds. The Non-relativistic version is used for non-relativistic particles, while the relativistic version is used for particles moving at significant fractions of the speed of light.

3. Is the Non-relativistic Schrodinger Equation accurate?

The Non-relativistic Schrodinger Equation is a highly accurate equation that has been extensively tested and verified through experiments. However, it is important to note that it is a theoretical model and may not fully capture the complexities of real-world systems. It is constantly being refined and improved upon by scientists.

4. What are the limitations of the Non-relativistic Schrodinger Equation?

The Non-relativistic Schrodinger Equation is limited in its ability to describe systems involving relativistic particles or particles with strong interactions. It also does not take into account the effects of gravity. Additionally, it is only valid for non-relativistic particles and may not accurately predict the behavior of particles moving at high speeds.

5. Why is the Non-relativistic Schrodinger Equation important?

The Non-relativistic Schrodinger Equation is a crucial tool in quantum mechanics, allowing scientists to make predictions about the behavior of particles and systems at the quantum level. It has been instrumental in the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and superconductors, and continues to be a fundamental aspect of our understanding of the universe.