1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Is the PhD program at University of Pittsburgh good?

1. Apr 8, 2016 #1
    Hi. I am a perspective PhD student interested. It seems Pitt is the best offer I can get.Does anyone know about the PhD program at University of Pittsburgh? Is Pitt a good choice for my future academic career?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2016 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You might get more of a response if you include some more details, such as what sub-field you're looking at. I don't know much about the University of Pittsburgh, but there might be a few people around here who can tell you whether it's a decent place to study in a particular sub-field.

On top of that - if you consider it the best offer you have - will it make much of a difference what people here have to say? It's highly improbable that a program is so bad that someone would advise you wait another year and try again at different schools.

4. Apr 9, 2016 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

An old data point: when I was a grad student at Michigan years ago, one of my classmates (and roommate for several years) had done his undergrad at Pitt. He finished his Ph.D. and last I heard was working on laser fusion at Livermore.

5. Apr 9, 2016 #4
    It has a respectable graduate physics program being ranked 50th in the country by US News and World Report. Does it have areas of research that you are interested in?

6. Apr 9, 2016 #5

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course, you should look into your specific field. Pitt is a respectable grad school. There are also some combined Pitt & Carnegie Mellon PhD degrees.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted