Is the set of infinite binary sequences countable?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, for a set to be countable, it means that it can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers. The set of infinite binary sequences is countable, as proven by the diagonalization argument. An example of a countable set of infinite binary sequences is the set with alternating 0s and 1s. The countability of this set challenges our understanding of infinity. However, the set of infinite binary sequences is not uncountable, as each sequence can be assigned a unique natural number.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Here's this week's problem!

-----

Problem
: Show that the set of all infinite sequences with entries from $\{0,1\}$ is not countable.

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
This week's problem was correctly answered by Ackbach, Deveno, and magneto. You can find magneto's solution below.

[sp]Proof by Cantor's diagonal argument. Let us consider a sequence of infinite binary sequence, $(s_i)_{i \in \mathbb{N}}$:
\begin{align*}
s_1 &= d_{11} d_{12} d_{13} \cdots \\
s_2 &= d_{21} d_{22} d_{23} \cdots \\
&\vdots \\
s_i &= d_{i1} d_{i2} d_{i3} \cdots
\end{align*}

$d_{ij}$ is either 0 or 1 and denotes the $j$-th character of the $i$-th sequence.
Define $s := d_1 d_2 d_3 \cdots$ where $d_k := 1 - d_{kk}$. (I.e., if $d_{kk} = 1$,
$d_k = 0$, otherwise $d_k = 1$.) Note that $s$ is different from all the $s_i$'s at the
$i$-th position by design. There does not exist an integer $t$ where $s = s_t$.
So, we cannot establish a 1-to-1 correspondence from
the infinite sequence of binary digits to $\mathbb{N}$ (since we can find some $s$ that is not
part of the original enumeration), hence the set is uncountable.[/sp]

Related to Is the set of infinite binary sequences countable?

1. What does it mean for a set to be countable?

For a set to be countable, it means that it can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...). In other words, there exists a way to list out all the elements in the set such that each element is assigned a unique natural number.

2. Is the set of infinite binary sequences countable?

Yes, the set of infinite binary sequences is countable. This can be proven using the diagonalization argument, where we can construct a list of all the binary sequences and show that there is a way to assign each sequence a unique natural number.

3. Can you provide an example of a countable set of infinite binary sequences?

One example of a countable set of infinite binary sequences is the set of all sequences that contain only 0s and 1s and follow the pattern of alternating between 0s and 1s. This set can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers.

4. How is the countability of a set of infinite binary sequences related to the concept of infinity?

The countability of a set of infinite binary sequences shows that even though the set contains an infinite number of elements, it can still be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers. This concept challenges our intuition about infinity and shows that there are different levels of infinity.

5. Is the set of infinite binary sequences uncountable?

No, the set of infinite binary sequences is not uncountable. While it may seem like there are an infinite number of possible binary sequences, each sequence can be assigned a unique natural number, making it countable.