Is the square root of a prime number always going to be irrational?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the square root of a prime number is always irrational. Both individuals agree that this is true, and a proof is provided to support this claim. It is also mentioned that the nth root of any natural number that is not a perfect nth power is an irrational number. This is further supported by the fact that the nth power of a rational number will always have a perfect nth power in both the numerator and denominator when written in lowest terms.
Universe_Man
is the square root of a prime number always going to be irrational? just a random question.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I believe the square root of any natural number that is not a perfect square is irrational.

I would say yes, because let's denote our prime p. If [itex]\sqrt{p}=n[/itex], ([itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex]), then it means that p=n² <==> p/n=n (i.e. n divides p ==> p is not prime: a contradiction with the hypothesis). If [itex]\sqrt{p}=m/n[/itex], ([itex]m,n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], [itex]n\neq 0,1[/itex], then it means that p = m²/n², i.e. p is rationnal ==> p is not prime: a contradiction with the hypothesis. The only remaining possibility is that [itex]\sqrt{p}[/itex] is irrational.

Yes, you're both right.

Here's a proof of the prime case...

Suppose there exists a prime p such that [tex] \sqrt{p} \in \mathbb{Q} [/tex]

Then [tex] \sqrt{p} = \frac{a}{b} \ [/tex] where [tex] p,q \in \mathbb{Z} [/tex]

Now, we can assume that a and b are relatively prime (ie the fraction is in lowest form). This is crucial for the remainder of the proof.

[tex] b \cdot \sqrt{p} = a [/tex]

[tex] b^{2} \cdot p = a^{2} [/tex]

From this last equation, we see that p divides a. Therefore, there exists some integer k such that a = pk. Substituting gives us:

[tex] b^{2} \cdot p = {(pk)}^{2} = p^{2} \cdot k^{2} [/tex]

Thus, [tex] b^{2} = p \cdot k^{2} [/tex]

Now, we have an equation that shows p divides b. So we have reached a contradiction. Since a and b were assumed to be relatively prime, they can't both possibly have p as a divisor. Therefore, no such integers a and b exist.

Last edited:
In general, I think that the nth root of any natural number that is not itself a perfect nth power is an irrational number.

BSMSMSTMSPHD said:
In general, I think that the nth root of any natural number that is not itself a perfect nth power is an irrational number.

This is true, and in fact the nth root of any rational number which doesn't have a perfect nth power in both the numerator and denominator (when written in lowest terms) is irrational. To see this (as I mentioned in another https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=129729"), just note that when you take the nth power of a rational number, you get a rational number with the above property. So conversely, a number which doesn't have this property can't be the nth power of a rational number.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is the square root of a prime number always going to be irrational?

Yes, the square root of a prime number will always be irrational. This is because a prime number is only divisible by 1 and itself, meaning it cannot be expressed as a fraction of two integers. Therefore, its square root cannot be simplified to a rational number.

2. Can the square root of a prime number ever be rational?

No, the square root of a prime number can never be rational. As mentioned before, a prime number can only be divided by 1 and itself, making it impossible to simplify its square root to a rational number.

3. Why is the square root of a prime number always irrational?

The square root of a prime number is always irrational because prime numbers have no factors other than 1 and itself. This means that the square root cannot be simplified to a rational number, which is a fraction of two integers.

4. Is there any exception to the rule that the square root of a prime number is irrational?

No, there are no exceptions to this rule. All prime numbers, regardless of their size, will have an irrational square root.

5. Can the square root of a prime number be a complex number?

Yes, the square root of a prime number can be a complex number. This is because irrational numbers can include both real and imaginary components, making them complex numbers. For example, the square root of 5 is an irrational number, which can be written as 2.236067977 + 0i.