1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the square root of a prime number always going to be irrational?

1. Sep 2, 2006 #1
    is the square root of a prime number always going to be irrational? just a random question.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2006 #2
    I believe the square root of any natural number that is not a perfect square is irrational.

4. Sep 2, 2006 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would say yes, because lets denote our prime p. If [itex]\sqrt{p}=n[/itex], ([itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex]), then it means that p=n² <==> p/n=n (i.e. n divides p ==> p is not prime: a contradiction with the hypothesis). If [itex]\sqrt{p}=m/n[/itex], ([itex]m,n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], [itex]n\neq 0,1[/itex], then it means that p = m²/n², i.e. p is rationnal ==> p is not prime: a contradiction with the hypothesis. The only remaining possibility is that [itex]\sqrt{p}[/itex] is irrational.

5. Sep 2, 2006 #4
    Yes, you're both right.

Here's a proof of the prime case...

Suppose there exists a prime p such that [tex] \sqrt{p} \in \mathbb{Q} [/tex]

Then [tex] \sqrt{p} = \frac{a}{b} \ [/tex] where [tex] p,q \in \mathbb{Z} [/tex]

Now, we can assume that a and b are relatively prime (ie the fraction is in lowest form). This is crucial for the remainder of the proof.

[tex] b \cdot \sqrt{p} = a [/tex]

[tex] b^{2} \cdot p = a^{2} [/tex]

From this last equation, we see that p divides a. Therefore, there exists some integer k such that a = pk. Substituting gives us:

[tex] b^{2} \cdot p = {(pk)}^{2} = p^{2} \cdot k^{2} [/tex]

Thus, [tex] b^{2} = p \cdot k^{2} [/tex]

Now, we have an equation that shows p divides b. So we have reached a contradiction. Since a and b were assumed to be relatively prime, they can't both possibly have p as a divisor. Therefore, no such integers a and b exist.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  6. Sep 2, 2006 #5
    In general, I think that the nth root of any natural number that is not itself a perfect nth power is an irrational number.

7. Sep 2, 2006 #6

StatusX

Homework Helper

This is true, and in fact the nth root of any rational number which doesn't have a perfect nth power in both the numerator and denominator (when written in lowest terms) is irrational. To see this (as I mentioned in another https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=129729"), just note that when you take the nth power of a rational number, you get a rational number with the above property. So conversely, a number which doesn't have this property can't be the nth power of a rational number.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook