Is the statement 'Particle A has twice the charge of particle B' true or false?

  • Thread starter Thread starter btpolk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Charge
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
btpolk
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Charge Problem--True/False

Homework Statement


Please explain why this statement is false:

Particle A has twice the charge of particle B. Thus the force particle A exerts on particle B is twice as great as the force particle B exerts on particle A.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



I believe it because there will be cancellation thus particle B will not exert any charge on A, but I'm not sure.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


btpolk said:

Homework Statement


Please explain why this statement is false:

Particle A has twice the charge of particle B. Thus the force particle A exerts on particle B is twice as great as the force particle B exerts on particle A.

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



I believe it because there will be cancellation thus particle B will not exert any charge on A, but I'm not sure.
Ask Isaac Newton. See his 3rd law.
 


So am I right by saying one half of particle A's force is being exerted on particle B?