Magnetic Forces on Moving Charges True or False

In summary, when considering a charged particle moving through a magnetic field, the magnetic force is always perpendicular to both the velocity and acceleration of the particle. This means that the acceleration of the particle is always parallel to the force exerted by the magnetic field. The motion of the particle will therefore be circular, with the radius of the circle increasing as the speed of the particle increases.
devilaudy

Homework Statement

Consider a charged particle moving with velocity v through a magnetic field B. Answer True or False.

1) The magnetic field B is always perpendicular to the acceleration a of the particle.
2) The magnetic force F is always perpendicular to the acceleration a of the particle.
3) The acceleration a of the particle is always perpendicular to the velocity v.
4) The force F exerted by the magnetic field is always perpendicular to the velocity v.

Homework Equations

F = qv x B (cross product, magnetic force on a moving charged particle).

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried 1) false 2) true 3) false 4) true and FFFT, but it was wrong. I was sure about my first answer since the magnetic force is always perpendicular to B and V.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi devilaudy! :smile:

think about (3) again …

what does the magnetic force equation mean? :wink:

tiny-tim said:

think about (3) again …

what does the magnetic force equation mean? :wink:

Thank you for answering! I was not really thinking about the acceleration, I thought it would have the same direction as the velocity of the particle! But would it be perpendicular to its motion? Then the acceleration would be parallel to the force exerted by the magnetic field, so the answers would be TFTT. I am not sure if I am getting it right...

^ That looks right to me.

It's easier to think about this with a concrete example. Suppose the particle is positively charged, moving to the right, and the magnetic field points into the page/screen. Use the right hand rule to figure out the direction of the force. What kind of motion does the particle undergo?

Last edited:

(just got up :zzz:)
devilaudy said:
Then the acceleration would be parallel to the force exerted by the magnetic field

that's right … good ol' Newton's second law … acceleration is always parallel to force! :wink:

(so in a constant magnetic field, everything goes in a circle …*the faster it goes, the larger the circle … see if you can prove that)
, so the answers would be TFTT. I am not sure if I am getting it right...

i think you're confusing field with force :redface:

1. Is it true that magnetic forces only act on moving charges?

Yes, magnetic forces only act on moving charges. This is because magnetic fields are created by moving charges, so they can only exert a force on other moving charges.

2. Can magnetic forces change the direction of a moving charge?

Yes, magnetic forces can change the direction of a moving charge. This is because the force exerted by a magnetic field is perpendicular to both the direction of the field and the direction of motion of the charge.

3. Is it possible for a stationary charge to experience a magnetic force?

No, a stationary charge cannot experience a magnetic force. This is because the force exerted by a magnetic field is dependent on the velocity of the charge, so if the charge is not moving, there is no force.

4. Can magnetic forces speed up or slow down a moving charge?

No, magnetic forces cannot speed up or slow down a moving charge. This is because the force exerted by a magnetic field is always perpendicular to the motion of the charge, so it cannot change the speed of the charge.

5. Is the strength of the magnetic force on a moving charge dependent on the magnitude of the charge?

No, the strength of the magnetic force on a moving charge is not dependent on the magnitude of the charge. It is instead dependent on the velocity of the charge, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.