Is the Surface of a Sphere Locally Flat?

In summary: I'm guessing English isn't your first language? Unfortunately, "I can't imagine that..." in English is usually taken to mean "It is impossible that...", which may have caused some miscommunication here. I think "I can't think of a set of coordinates..." would probably be closer...
Jufa
TL;DR Summary
Something our teacher explained me regarding the metric and local flatness doesn't match a simple example of a sphere
Given a certain manifold in ##R^3## I've been told that at every location ##p## it is possible to encounter a reference frame from which the metric is the euclidean at zero order from that point and its first correction is of second order. This, nevertheless does not match with the following example:
Consider the surface of a sphere ##S^2## at a certain polar angle ##\theta_0## and azimutal angle ##\phi_0##. The metric of that surface is
##g_{\phi \phi} = sin^2(\theta) ## and ##g_{\theta \theta} = 1##. Let as define a new local reference frame such that ##\theta' = \theta## and ##\phi' = \frac{\phi}{sin(\theta_0)}##. It is easy to see that the new metric in this reference frame will be euclidean at ##p##. But what happens in its neighbourhood?

##g_{\phi \phi} = \frac{sin^2(\theta_0 + \delta \theta)}{sin^2(\theta_0} = 1 + 2sin(\theta_0)cos(\theta_0)\delta \theta + cos^2(\theta_0)(\delta \theta)^2##

which clearly has a non-vanishing correction at first order.

Where is the problem? Is my teacher wrong?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jufa said:
Summary:: Something our teacher explained me regarding the metric and local flatness doesn't match a simple example of a sphere

Where is the problem?
You picked the wrong coordinates. The statement is just that those coordinates exists where the metric is Euclidean to zeroth order around p and the first correction is at order two, not that this will be the case whatever coordinates you pick.

Orodruin said:
You picked the wrong coordinates. The statement is just that those coordinates exists where the metric is Euclidean to zeroth order around p and the first correction is at order two, not that this will be the case whatever coordinates you pick.
I can't imagine a set of coordinates that fulfills the non-zero first order correction condition. Indeed, once you impose that the metric is euclidean at p, the new coordinates become fixed and, thus, my choice was the only one possible to be made.

Jufa said:
I can't imagine a set of coordinates that fulfills the non-zero order condition.
Polar coordinates with the equator passing through your location should do the trick.

Likes Orodruin and Dale
Jufa said:
But what happens in its neighbourhood?

##g_{\phi \phi} = \frac{sin^2(\theta_0 + \delta \theta)}{sin^2(\theta_0} = 1 + 2sin(\theta_0)\delta \theta + (\delta \theta)^2##

which clearly has a non-vanishing correction at first order.

Where is the problem? Is my teacher wrong?
As @Orodruin mentioned you just picked bad coordinates, and as @Ibix mentioned (people are fast on this forum!) you can just use standard coordinates with the equator going through the point of interest. However, in general you can always construct such coordinates even if they have nothing to do with some original starting coordinates.

Ibix said:
Polar coordinates with the equator passing through your location should do the trick.

That definitely solves it. Many thanks!

Jufa said:
once you impose that the metric is euclidean at p, the new coordinates become fixed

No, they don't. There is more than one possible set of Cartesian coordinates; you can rotate the axes any way you like.

Dale said:
As @Orodruin mentioned you just picked bad coordinates, and as @Ibix mentioned (people are fast on this forum!) you can just use standard coordinates with the equator going through the point of interest. However, in general you can always construct such coordinates even if they have nothing to do with some original starting coordinates.
Sure, I only mention the first set of coordinates in order to define the metric tensor.

Jufa said:
I can't imagine a set of coordinates that fulfills the non-zero first order correction condition. Indeed, once you impose that the metric is euclidean at p, the new coordinates become fixed and, thus, my choice was the only one possible to be made.
That you cannot imagine a different set of coordinates does not mean it doesn't exist. It is fairly simple to see that having orthonormal basis vectors at one point does not fix the coordinate system, not only because you can always rotate your coordinates, but also because any coordinate change for which ##\partial x^a/\partial y^b = \delta^a_b## at the point of interest will not change the components of the metric tensor. Furthermore, among those coordinate changes you can find one that makes the Christoffel symbols vanish at that point because the coordinate change of the Christoffel symbols also depends on the second derivatives of the coordinate change functions, which are not fixed by fixing the metric components.

Likes vanhees71 and Dale
I know it. I did not mean that the fact that I cannot imagine it means that it does not exist. I was just expressing my ignorance of such a coordinates system.
Thanks.

Likes Dale
Jufa said:
I know it. I did not mean that the fact that I cannot imagine it means that it does not exist. I was just expressing my ignorance of such a coordinates system.
I'm guessing English isn't your first language? Unfortunately, "I can't imagine that..." in English is usually taken to mean "It is impossible that...", which may have caused some miscommunication here. I think "I can't think of a set of coordinates..." would probably be closer to what you were aiming for. You could probably do with an "I think" somewhere in the second sentence of post #3 too, I'm afraid.

1. What does it mean for the surface of a sphere to be locally flat?

When we say that the surface of a sphere is locally flat, it means that at any given point on the surface, it appears to be flat. This is because a small portion of a sphere can be approximated by a plane, making it locally flat.

2. How is the local flatness of a sphere different from its global curvature?

The local flatness of a sphere refers to the flatness of a small portion of its surface, while the global curvature refers to the overall curvature of the entire surface. A sphere has a constant positive curvature, meaning that no matter how small a portion of its surface we look at, it will always be curved.

3. Why is it important to understand the local flatness of a sphere?

Understanding the local flatness of a sphere is important in many fields, such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It helps us to better understand the geometry of curved surfaces and to make accurate calculations and predictions in various applications.

4. Can the surface of a sphere ever be completely flat?

No, the surface of a sphere can never be completely flat. This is because a sphere has a constant positive curvature, and any portion of its surface will always be curved. However, as we zoom in on smaller and smaller portions of the surface, it will appear to be flat.

5. How does the local flatness of a sphere relate to its dimensions?

The local flatness of a sphere is independent of its dimensions. This means that no matter how big or small a sphere is, its surface will always appear to be locally flat at any given point. However, as we zoom out and look at larger portions of the surface, the curvature and overall shape of the sphere will become more apparent.