Response to #19
Garth: Many thank for the helpful and concise summary. By way of response, I was trying to rationalise a basic model in which the FRW metric, as defined by Parlyne (#11), reduces to the form:
[tex]ds^2 = - dt^2 + a^2(t) dr^2[/tex]
This form only looks at the equatorial expansion along a radial path and assumes k=0. As also pointed out by Parlyne (#11),
As for the nature of expansion itself, as you can see in the line element above, the scale factor, a(t), only plays a role in the spatial part of the geometry; so, space is expanding over time.
To which you have added the qualification:
The specific solution of a(t) and k depends on the content, matter (dark and otherwise), radiation and DE that you put into the field equation.
In other words, the expansion may have varied in time depending on the makeup of the energy density [tex][\rho][/tex]. While I am taking a deliberately simplistic approach, as far as I can see my basic model doesn’t violate anything being implied above or current measurements. However, I am less clear about the following statement:
Gravity does not "slow H", the gravitational field of positive mass and energy within the universe decelerates its expansion, just as gravity slows a rising rocket, which may or may not escape the Earth's gravitational field depending on its initial velocity.
Again, from a basic approach, classical physics only defines 4 fundamental forces, 3 of which are effectively neutralised at the atomic level leaving only gravity to operate on the cosmic level. I would define
‘pressure’ as an aggregate ‘
force’ caused by individual kinetic collisions between components within the makeup of the energy density being considered.
Now if pressure is an expansive ‘
force’ what is slowing down the expansion?
I know GR prefers not to describe gravity as a force, but rather a geodesic path or a gravitational field gradient. However, I assume that these two concepts can be transposed and a '
force' can be used to described a geodesic path.
So where is this path? Is the implication that each unit volume of space has a gravitational curvature or field that slows the expansion due to dark energy pressure?
As I pointed out, I don’t understand how the concept of a net gravitational field within a homogenous universe can be considered without some form of centre of gravity. Therefore I would appreciate any further clarification of the mechanism that is used to explain the slow down of the expansion within the standard large-scale homogeneous universe model.