Is the wigner D function a representation of SO(3)?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the Wigner D matrix and its representation of SO(3) on a Hilbert space. The speaker is seeking clarification on whether the map \pi is a homomorphism and whether it leads to a reducible or irreducible representation. The other speaker mentions the work of Wigner and Bargmann, stating that the map \pi actually maps SU(2) onto a subset of unitaries in a complex separable Hilbert space. They suggest Barut and Raczka as a possible resource for further information.
Yoran91
Hello everyone,

I'm reading a bit about the Wigner D matrix, defined by
[itex]\mathscr{D}\left(\hat{n},\phi \right) = \exp[-\frac{i \phi}{\hbar}\vec{J}\cdot \hat{n}][/itex].

Now I'm wondering : is the map [itex] \pi : \text{SO(3)} \to \text{GL}\left( \mathscr{H} \right) [/itex] given by [itex] R\left(\hat{n},\phi \right) \mapsto \mathscr{D}\left(\hat{n},\phi \right)[/itex] a representation of SO(3) on some Hilbert space [itex]\mathscr{H}[/itex]?

I would say yes, but I have no clue on how to prove that this map is a homomorphism so that it is indeed a representation. Further, if it is a representation, is it reducible or irreducible?

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Through the work of Wigner and Bargmann, the map [itex] \pi [/itex] you mention maps SU(2) (not SO(3)) onto some subset of the unitaries of a complex separable Hilbert space (essentially [itex] L^2 (R^3,C^{2s+1}) [/itex]). This is such a standard result, that I can't think of the best book treating this subject. Barut and Raczka, maybe.

Last edited:

1. What is the Wigner D function?

The Wigner D function is a mathematical function used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles with spin. It is represented by a matrix with elements that depend on the orientation of the particle's spin relative to a chosen axis.

2. What is SO(3)?

SO(3) is the special orthogonal group in three dimensions, which is a mathematical group that represents the rotations in three-dimensional space. It is often used in physics and engineering to study the behavior of systems that involve rotations.

3. How is the Wigner D function related to SO(3)?

The Wigner D function is a representation of SO(3), meaning that it can be used to describe the transformations and rotations of objects in three-dimensional space. It is a useful tool in quantum mechanics for understanding the behavior of particles with spin.

4. What are the applications of the Wigner D function?

The Wigner D function has many applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics. It is used to study the behavior of particles with spin, as well as in the analysis of atomic and molecular spectra. It is also used in engineering to understand the behavior of rotating systems.

5. Is the Wigner D function the only representation of SO(3)?

No, the Wigner D function is not the only representation of SO(3). There are other mathematical functions and matrices that can also represent rotations in three-dimensional space. However, the Wigner D function is a particularly useful and widely used representation in the field of quantum mechanics.