Is there a "binomial" theorem for super exp or tetration?

In summary, the binomial theorem can be applied iteratively to express the power tower function (^n(x+y)) as a summation of terms using non-negative integers. However, it cannot be expressed in a finite form for infinite n, and the problem becomes trivial if x or y is equal to 0.
japplepie
In the binomial theorem (x+x')^n = a summation of terms.

Is there any way I could express (x+x')^^n in a summation?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well let's consider the simplest non-trivial example which would be

[tex]^2(x+y)=(x+y)^{x+y}=(x+y)^x(x+y)^y[/tex]

Now we can see that if x and y are non-negative integers then we can expand that last expression with the application of the binomial theorem twice. If they're not however, then we'd get an infinite expansion and thus attempting to compute one more level in the tetration:

[tex]^3(x+y)[/tex]

Wouldn't be possible because the binomial theorem only works for finite n.

Ok, so we're forced to have x,y be non-negative integers, but also if either of them were 0 then the problem becomes trivial, so we'll restrict ourselves to the natural numbers.

I don't expect there is a way to express it in the form that you're hoping for, but because tetration is simply repeated exponentiation, which means that recursively,

[tex]^n(x+y)=(x+y)^{^{n-1}(x+y)}[/tex]

and so you can iteratively use the binomial theorem as you work your way down the power tower.

[tex]f_n=\sum_{i=0}^{f_{n-1}}\binom{f_{n-1}}{i}x^iy^{f_{n-1}-i}[/tex]
where
[tex]f_k=^k(x+y)[/tex]

1. What is the "binomial" theorem for super exp or tetration?

The "binomial" theorem for super exp or tetration is a generalization of the binomial theorem, which provides a way to expand expressions of the form (a+b)^n where n is a positive integer. In the "binomial" theorem for super exp or tetration, n can be any real number, allowing for the expansion of more complex expressions.

2. How is the "binomial" theorem for super exp or tetration used in mathematics?

The "binomial" theorem for super exp or tetration is used in a variety of mathematical fields, including complex analysis, number theory, and combinatorics. It is also used in the study of special functions, such as the gamma function, and in the analysis of algorithms and computational complexity.

3. What are the main properties of the "binomial" theorem for super exp or tetration?

The "binomial" theorem for super exp or tetration has several key properties, including the ability to expand expressions with negative and non-integer exponents, the ability to compute coefficients using the multinomial theorem, and the ability to calculate the Taylor series of a function using its "binomial" expansion.

4. Are there any limitations to the "binomial" theorem for super exp or tetration?

While the "binomial" theorem for super exp or tetration is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not be applicable to certain types of functions or expressions, and it may not provide an exact solution in all cases.

5. How does the "binomial" theorem for super exp or tetration relate to other mathematical concepts?

The "binomial" theorem for super exp or tetration is closely related to other mathematical concepts, such as Taylor series, power series, and the generalized binomial theorem. It is also connected to the theory of analytic functions and the study of differentiability and continuity.