Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a chip that does this?

  1. Apr 16, 2013 #1
    Is there a chip (be it 4000 series or 74XX series) that performs the following function? It basically takes in a binary string, and ANDs each part of the string with a certain control bit to produce a new binary string.

    It seems that neither muxes nor demuxes serves my purpose. So I'd appreciate if anyone could suggest a chip that does this so I don't have to construct it.

    http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4087/cccnl.png [Broken]

    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2013 #2


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Is the string always going to be 4 bits?

    If so you could use a 7408 and wire together 1 set of the input pins and then connect that to the control bit?


    ie. from that diagram you could wire together pins 1, 4, 12 and 9 to be your control bit? or a different rearrangement if it was easier to solder together.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook