Do choice functions have the cardinality of the largest set in their domain?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Choice Functions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
nomadreid
Gold Member
Messages
1,779
Reaction score
258
Is the following a theorem from ZFC?
Given a collection C of non-empty sets that includes at least one infinite set, the cardinality of the collection of distinct choice functions on C (as defined in AC) equals the cardinality of the largest element of C.
My feeling that this is true is from generalizing the case when the largest cardinality is [itex]\aleph[/itex]0, where it seems that a simple proof is possible, but I am not sure whether it is true and, if so, provable (from ZFC) for higher cardinalities.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Won't the claim fail when the cardinality of C is greater than the cardinality of the largest element of C?

That is, if C is a collection of aleph1 sets of aleph0 elements, there will be at least aleph1 choice functions.
 
yossell, thanks for the answer. Good point. So, if I were to amend it, would the theorem be that the number of choice functions is max (|C|, |S|) with S being a set with the largest cardinality? Whereas this seems intuitively clear, is it provable in ZFC?
 
Given sets ##(X_i)_{i\in I}##, what you want is the cardinality of

[tex]\prod_{i\in I} X_i[/tex]

For convenience, we set ##I## to be equal to a cardinal number, so we put ##I = |I| = \lambda##. It is a theorem in ZFC that if ##\lambda## is infinite and if ##|X_i|## are nondecreasing and nonzero, then

[tex]\prod_{i<\lambda} |X_i| = (\sup_{i<\lambda} |X_i| )^\lambda[/tex]

See "Set Theory" by Jech for a proof.
 
Thanks, micromass. Lemma 5.9, to be exact.