Confusion over Axiom of Choice.

In summary, the Axiom of Choice allows us to make a choice from an arbitrary collection of non-empty sets. It is not provable or disprovable from the axioms of ZF and is needed when the number in the collection is non-countable. It is also needed in the countable case to make a precise construction of the choice set. However, it is not strong enough to prove the Axiom of Choice and is weaker than ZF+ACω, which is weaker than ZF+DC, which is weaker than ZF+AC.
QIsReluctant
Hello,

What "choice" does the Axiom of Choice permit us to make? I've searched high and low and not found a satisfactory answer. To me it seems to add no new information to its hypotheses: Given an arbitrary collection of non-empty sets, isn't it true, without assuming anything and just by the fact that each set has at least one element, that you can map each set to an element within itself? Or is the rub that the statement is not provable or disprovable from the axioms of ZF (which I wish I were more familiar with)?

One author suggests that you need a hard-and-fast rule (e.g., if I'm using the domain of positive-length real intevals let f(interval) = the midpoint), but then says that we don't need AC for any finite interval because we are able, by induction, to pick set-by-set within the domain. I guess I need a more precise definition ...

Physics news on Phys.org
QIsReluctant said:
Hello,

What "choice" does the Axiom of Choice permit us to make? I've searched high and low and not found a satisfactory answer. To me it seems to add no new information to its hypotheses: Given an arbitrary collection of non-empty sets, isn't it true, without assuming anything and just by the fact that each set has at least one element, that you can map each set to an element within itself?

ZF can do induction, hence it can do finite choice. Induction doesn't let you do countable choice.

Or is the rub that the statement is not provable or disprovable from the axioms of ZF (which I wish I were more familiar with)?

Uncountable choice leads to Banach-Tarski, which is counter intuitive.

The axiom of choice is needed when the number in the collection is non-countable. In that case the construction of the choice set can't be made, since you have to make an uncountable number of choices.

mathman said:
The axiom of choice is needed when the number in the collection is non-countable.

It is actually worse than this. A (weak) form of the axiom of choice is needed in the countable case as well.

But who wants to live in a world without countable choice?

economicsnerd said:
But who wants to live in a world without countable choice?

Those who subscribe to (ultra)finitism perhaps? :tongue:

jgens said:
A (weak) form of the axiom of choice is needed in the countable case as well.

To make this more precise. ACω is not provable in ZF. This means:
ZF is strickly weaker than ZF+ACω, which is strictly weaker than ZF+DC, which is strictly weaker than ZF+AC.

AC is Axiom of Choice, ACω is Axiom of Countable Choice and DC is Axiom of Dependent Choice, in case anybody was asking.

1. What is the Axiom of Choice?

The Axiom of Choice is a fundamental principle in set theory that states that for any collection of non-empty sets, there exists a function that can choose one element from each set. In other words, it allows us to make an arbitrary choice from an infinite number of options.

2. Why is there confusion surrounding the Axiom of Choice?

There is confusion surrounding the Axiom of Choice because it is a controversial principle that has been debated among mathematicians for decades. Some mathematicians believe that the Axiom of Choice should be accepted as a fundamental truth, while others argue that it leads to paradoxes and should not be accepted.

3. What are some examples of the Axiom of Choice in action?

One example of the Axiom of Choice in action is the Banach-Tarski Paradox, which states that a solid ball can be divided into a finite number of pieces and then reassembled to form two identical copies of the original ball. Another example is Zorn's Lemma, which is a powerful tool in proving the existence of mathematical objects.

4. How does the Axiom of Choice impact mathematics?

The Axiom of Choice has a significant impact on mathematics, as it is used in many areas of the subject such as algebra, topology, and analysis. It allows mathematicians to prove the existence of certain mathematical objects that would otherwise be impossible to prove without it.

5. Is the Axiom of Choice necessary in mathematics?

This is a highly debated question among mathematicians. Some argue that the Axiom of Choice is necessary for certain proofs and to make sense of some mathematical concepts, while others believe that it is not necessary and can lead to contradictions. Ultimately, the acceptance of the Axiom of Choice is a matter of personal belief and mathematical philosophy.