Is there a connection between water and magnetism?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of water in a magnetic field and its applications in electromagnetic rail technology. It is explained that magnetohydrodynamics involves passing a lot of current through seawater in the presence of a strong magnetic field, making a nuclear reactor essential for this technology. It is also mentioned that seawater is always heavily ionized and a magnetic field can exert a force on it, potentially causing propulsion.
jWald
How exactly does water behave in a magnetic field? I've seen pictures of a boat that uses electromagnetic rail technology to move across water, but I still don't fully grasp it.

Also, does this behavior change when temperatures rise or fall?

Physics news on Phys.org
jWald said:
I've seen pictures of a boat that uses electromagnetic rail technology to move across water, but I still don't fully grasp it.
Hi jWald. http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/5826/rotwel.gif

Magnetohydrodynamics? It involves passing a lot of current through sea water in the presence of a strong magnetic field. So having a nuclear reactor aboard your ship to supply all that electricity is practically essential. Google it and you'll find as much information as you can handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that water is affected by magnetic fields- it would have to be ionized, or polarized.

What about salt water?

LastTimelord said:
I don't think that water is affected by magnetic fields- it would have to be ionized, or polarized.

Seawater is always heavily ionized. If you send a current through the water, a magnetic field can exert a force on it.

And the reaction force could cause the type of propulsion the OP was wondering about?

1. How does water behave in a magnetic field?

In a magnetic field, water molecules align themselves with the field, causing them to form chains. This phenomenon is known as diamagnetism.

2. Can a magnetic field change the properties of water?

Yes, a strong magnetic field can alter the structure of water molecules, making them more organized and less fluid. This can affect the freezing and boiling points of water, as well as its surface tension and ability to dissolve substances.

3. Is there any evidence that water in a magnetic field has health benefits?

Some studies suggest that exposing water to a magnetic field can improve its ability to hydrate cells and remove toxins from the body. However, more research is needed to confirm these claims.

4. Are there any practical applications for using magnetic fields to treat water?

Yes, magnetic water treatment is used in industries such as agriculture and wastewater treatment to reduce the effects of hard water and improve water quality.

5. Can a magnetic field purify contaminated water?

No, a magnetic field alone cannot purify contaminated water. It may have some impact on the properties of water, but it is not a substitute for proper water treatment methods such as filtration or chemical purification.