Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a data base of scientific journals?

1. Jun 29, 2012 #1
    I have to do a chemistry report and have two peer reviewed scientific journals related to my topic as references. My question is if there is some sort of database that has this information readily available?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Are you asking if there is a database of peer reviewed journals, or a database of papers?

4. Jun 29, 2012 #3
    peer reviewed journals

5. Jun 29, 2012 #4

Evo

6. Jun 30, 2012 #5
    This page didn't have any articles pertaining to my research topic...I've been searching on google, is it just me or do scientific peer review journals cost money to view? Is there somewhere I can look for free?

I'm looking for 2 articles related to methane emission from cows that have been published within the last 3 years

7. Jun 30, 2012 #6

Evo

That's what I asked, are you looking for journals or specific papers. You said you wanted a list of journals.

Have you done a search on "methane emission from cows". What specifically are you looking for in relation to this? And yes, most peer reviewed papers will cost you. Are you a University student?

8. Jun 30, 2012 #7

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If one uses a search engine and searches on "methane","cows" or "beef cattle", one will find some articles.

Bioresource Technology

M.C Sterling Jr., R.E Lacey, C.R Engler, S.C Ricke, Effects of ammonia nitrogen on H2 and CH4 production during anaerobic digestion of dairy cattle manure, Bioresource Technology, Volume 77, Issue 1, March 2001, Pages 9-18, ISSN 0960-8524, 10.1016/S0960-8524(00)00138-3.
    (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960852400001383)
    Keywords: Anaerobic digestion; Hydrogen; Nitrogen; Mesophilic; Dairy manure

I one searches for those topics in conjuction with a university, such as Texas A&M Uni. (TAMU), or other A&M universities, one may find citatations or references to published articles on cattle manure and methane production.

9. Jun 30, 2012 #8
    Sorry evo, I misinterpreted your question as being "Do you want peer reviewed or non peer reviewed journals?"

And to Astronuc, the restriction is that it must be written within the last 3 years, the one you cited was from 2001. I have used google and searched but have yet to find one from 3 years ago or less. I am not a university student.

I want a paper that is about the chemistry of the methane production in the cows, that should be the emphasis of my paper, and to a lesser extent the environmental effects of it.

10. Jun 30, 2012 #9

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I understand that you want articles from the last 3 years. I gave an example of a journal that publishes material of interest and a starting point.

It also shows the authors and institution who are doing research in the area of interest. There are other journals -see the reference section, and there are other authors and institutions.

Some other examples more recent
    http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/AN10163.htm
    Ruminant enteric methane mitigation: a review (2011)
    School of Environmental and Rural Science, University of New England, Armidale, NSW 2351, Australia.

and from 2012
    New Zealand Agricultural Greenhouse Gas Research Centre 2nd Annual Conference
    http://www.agresearch.co.nz/news/pages/news-item.aspx?News-id=12-01-27-1 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  11. Jun 30, 2012 #10

Evo

Wow, that's going to be hard to find. I found a few papers, but they were older than 3 years.

12. Jun 30, 2012 #11

jtbell

13. Jun 30, 2012 #12

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

14. Jul 1, 2012 #13

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology

Applied and Environmental Microbiology

Search on methanogenic bacteria or archaebacteria, or specific organisms, e.g., Methanosarcinaceae
    http://aem.asm.org/search?fulltext=methanogenic&submit=yes&x=6&y=8

Much has already been established in the biochemical process of methanogenic organisms. Perhaps there is a recent literature survey.

15. Jul 1, 2012 #14

Evo

16. Jul 3, 2012 #15
    If you're a college student, your school should have a library database. Through that database, you should be able to link to different search databases (eg: Academic Search Complete). Once you find a database that should contain the information you're looking for, you can do an advanced search for your specific topic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook