1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a faster way to do this?

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1
    Z/p [x] consists of polynomials in x with coefficients in a field Z/p.
    I is an ideal of Z/p [x] generated by some irreducible polynomial i(x) in Z/p [x]
    (let's say I is generated by an irreducible polynomial i(x) of degree 3 in Z/p [x])

The factor (or quotient)
    (Z/p [x])/I = (Z/p [x])/<i(x)> is a field.
    To verify that it is,
    * (Z/p [x])/<i(x)> is commutative because Z/p [x] is. (ok)
    * i(x) is irreducible so (Z/p [x])/<i(x)> has no divisors of zero. (ok)
    * (Z/p [x])/<i(x)> needs to be a division ring, that is, every nonzero element needs to be invertible. (needs to be verified)

My (tedious) method is,
    WLOG let f(x) = x^2 + ax + b be a polynomial in Z/p [x]
    need to find some iverse of f(x) (call it g(x)) in Z/p [x] such that
    (f(x).g(x)) + <i(x)> = 1 + <i(x)>

which can be done by multiplying out f(x).g(x) and then dividing by i(x) to get the remainder (very long) which would be of degree 2 (one less than deg(i(x)) )
    and then solving the coefficient of x^2 and x to be congruent to 0 mod p
    and the constant term to be congruent to 1 mod p
    (three equations and three unkowns)

and not only does that take very long, if p is not small then in the end I often end up making a mistake somewhere so my calculated "inverse" of f(x) is incorrect
    (end up having f(x).g(x) + <i(x)> different to 1 + <i(x)> )

Is there a better/cleaner/easier/more efficient way to do these sorts of things rather than having to go through all that mess?
    (Can take p to be a specific prime, say p=5, or 7, or whatever.)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2007 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Z/p is a field, so (Z/p)[x] is a principal ideal domain. If i(x) is irreducible over Z/p, then <i(x)> is a prime ideal and consequently (because we're in a PID) a maximal ideal. And what happens when you mod out by a maximal ideal?

4. Nov 12, 2007 #3
    Then the factor is a field! Yay, fantastic! Thanks!
    This shows that I need to do a lot of extra reading on stuff that is not taught in order to fully understand the material.. I've never heard of a pid before, unless it's lying on some fresh page that I've never looked at in our notes, or it's not covered at my level - first course in abstract algebra... (I had to look up maximal and prime ideals too...)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?