Is there a free version of MCNP visual editor or similar?

In summary, the conversation is about using a visual editor for input files in MCNP code for nuclear reactor modelling. The speaker asks for recommendations on how to obtain a free version of a visual editor compatible with MCNP, and also mentions using Vised or converting an AutoCAD file as potential options.
Alexe
I have just started to use MCNP code for nuclear reactor modelling. I would like to practice using a visual editor for input file. Can anyone tell me how can I get a free version of visual editor or other similar editor compatible with MCNP?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Alexe said:
I have just started to use MCNP code for nuclear reactor modelling. I would like to practice using a visual editor for input file. Can anyone tell me how can I get a free version of visual editor or other similar editor compatible with MCNP?

Have you tried to use the command

"mcnp ip inp=your file"
"ori 0 0 0"

Then you should be able to see the geometry

your copy of MCNP should have come with Vised, which is a visual editor that's supposed to help you create the geometry for your input file. there's a bit of a learning curve, but you might find it helpful in addition to using MCNP's built-in plotting. Personally I find it difficult to use so I usually create my input files by hand (laying the geometry out on paper can be helpful) and use Vised as a visual tool to check my input file.

There is also supposed to be some method where an AutoCAD file can be converted into an MCNP input file, but I've never tried or investigated it.

1. Can I get a free version of MCNP visual editor or a similar software?

Yes, there is a free version of MCNP visual editor called MCNPX Workbench. It is available for download on the Los Alamos National Laboratory website.

2. What are the limitations of the free version of MCNP visual editor?

The free version of MCNP visual editor has a limit of 50,000 particles per run and 100,000 particles per simulation. It also does not include all of the advanced features found in the paid version.

3. Is the free version of MCNP visual editor suitable for professional use?

It depends on the specific needs of the user. The free version may be sufficient for simple simulations, but for more complex and detailed simulations, the paid version may be necessary.

4. Can I use the free version of MCNP visual editor for commercial purposes?

No, the free version is for non-commercial use only. If you plan to use MCNP visual editor for commercial purposes, you will need to purchase a license for the software.

5. Is there a tutorial or user guide available for the free version of MCNP visual editor?

Yes, there is a user guide available for download on the Los Alamos National Laboratory website. Additionally, there are many online resources and forums available for users to learn more about using MCNP visual editor.