PTRAC File - MCNP - Multi-core computing

In summary, the conversation is about using MCNP 6.2 to model a cold neutron source for the Brazilian multipurpose reactor project. The group is interested in obtaining a PTRAC file in the CNS region through multi-core computing and is asking for advice on how to execute it. They also discuss the limitations of thermal scattering libraries at low temperatures and the potential need for OpenMP or MPI for the computer.
Luizpo
Homework Statement:: PTRAC File - MCNP - Multi-core computing
Relevant Equations:: No equations

My name is Luiz. I am a postdoc at the institute of energy and nuclear research in São Paulo-Brazil.
Our group models a cold neutron source (CNS) for the Brazilian multipurpose reactor project, through MCNP 6.2.
We need a PTRAC file in the CNS region and would like to know if it is possible to obtain this file through multi-core computing. If yes, how should we execute it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I may not be the right person to answer, but this sounds interesting. I assume you will be basing this off the libraries .05c or 0.85c, but the thermal scattering libraries have very few options at low temperature. Is your setup 18 liters of liquid deuterium at 20K?

Why is PTRAC important and will it have very narrow criteria? Only I'm not sure CPU capacity will be limiting if it's streaming a large number of events to disk. What do you know of the computer, do you need to use OpenMP or MPI?

1. What is a PTRAC file in MCNP?

A PTRAC file in MCNP is a file that contains information about the particle tracks generated during a Monte Carlo simulation. It includes details such as the particle type, energy, and position at each step of the simulation.

2. How is a PTRAC file generated in MCNP?

A PTRAC file is generated during a Monte Carlo simulation in MCNP by specifying the "ptrac" option in the input file. This will cause MCNP to record the particle tracks and output them to a separate file.

3. What is the purpose of a PTRAC file in MCNP?

The purpose of a PTRAC file in MCNP is to provide detailed information about the particle tracks in a Monte Carlo simulation. This can be useful for analyzing the behavior of particles and understanding the results of the simulation.

4. Can a PTRAC file be used for multi-core computing in MCNP?

Yes, a PTRAC file can be used for multi-core computing in MCNP. The file can be divided into smaller segments and distributed among multiple cores, allowing for faster processing and analysis of the particle tracks.

5. How can I visualize a PTRAC file in MCNP?

A PTRAC file can be visualized in MCNP by using the "ptracplot" utility. This will create a graphical representation of the particle tracks, which can be useful for analyzing the results of the simulation.