1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a future in nonlinear optics?

1. Jan 31, 2007 #1
    I don't know much about nonlinear optics, but does doing a PhD in this field give you a chance in landing a job in the industry afterwards? i.e what does the job market look like?

I always kinda thought that nonlinear optics was a very mature field and hence the opportunity to do exciting research is very small, but maybe this is not the case?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2007 #2

J77

Can you be more specific?

Experimental or theoretical?

4. Jan 31, 2007 #3
    theoretical definitely

5. Jan 31, 2007 #4

J77

So like, nonlinear schrodinger equation; ginzberg-landau equation, swift-hohenberg...

There's definitely loads more work being down/to do in this field.

Of course, you'd become an expert in PDEs - you can do analytical work here, as well as numerical - for the latter, a big thing at the moment is formation/dynamics of patterns, spiral wave instabilities etc.

These type of things can be taken from nonlinear optics and applied to other fields, eg. medical applications - heart palpatations etc.

The skills you would learn are easily applicable to the research industry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?