Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a nice formula for the following function?

1. Sep 18, 2013 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hi there!
    I am seeking a nice formula for the following function S(k,n), k and n natural numbers, k<=n, where S(k,n) is the sum of all possible products (permutations not allowed) of k distinct integers, where the integer set runs from 1 to n.
    Thus, for example, we have the trivial cases of S(1,n)=n(n+1)/2 and S(n,n)=n!

Thanks in advance

EDIT:
    I'm not really interested in an implicit recursive method (that's fairly trivial to set up), but an explicit expression of S

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

In general I doubt you'll do better than
    [tex]
    S(k,n) = \sum_{\begin{array}{c}U \subset \{1, \dots, n\} \\ |U| = k\end{array}} \left(\prod_{u \in U} u \right)
    [/tex]

4. Sep 18, 2013 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Thanks!
    I've thought of that as well, and it won't be any touble for me setting up a recursive scheme to calculate whatever value of S that I want.

I was hoping, though, that some mathematician had figured out a surprisingly simple formula..

5. Sep 18, 2013 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can calculate S(2,n) (partial solution given here),

[tex] S(2,n) = \sum_{j=1}^{n-1} j \sum_{r=j+1}^{n} r [/tex]
    [tex] \sum_{r=j+1}^{n} r = (n+j)(n-j+1)/2 [/tex]

So
    [tex] S(2,n) = \sum_{j=1}^{n-1} j(n+j)(n-j+1)/2 [/tex]

You can distribute it and get a sum over j, a sum over j2, and a sum over j3 all of which have known formulas. Trying to repeat this exact process (sum over j, sum over r > j, sum over s > r for S(3,n) for example) is doable but tedious. It might be able to be generalized to S(k,n) directly though with extreme cleverness

6. Sep 18, 2013 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Thank you, Office Shredder!
    I did think of such schemes, but didn't want to go through the calculations (I do not trust myself in gleaning a general pattern here).
    It would be easier, say computerwise, to set up a plodding algorithm, but I thought that a function S(k,n) OUGHT to occur in lots of combinatorics problems, for example, so that some mathematician had done some serious thinking upon S.

7. Sep 18, 2013 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Another explicit value will, obviously, be S(n-1,n), which must equal (n!)*H(n), where H(n) is the harmonic sum of the n first numbers (which DOES have a rather nice expression).
    But, it is all those in-betweens I wonder about..:frown:

8. Sep 18, 2013 #7
    If I understand you correctly, your ##S(k,n)## is the (unsigned) Stirling number of the first kind ##\left[n+1 \atop n + 1 - k\right]##. You should be able to find a lot of information about these numbers once you know that they are the Stirling numbers of the first kind.

9. Sep 18, 2013 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hooray!
    That seems to be the name of my beast!
    Thanks a bundle!!!

10. Sep 18, 2013 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

As a matter of fact, my conundrum arose from seeking to calculate the coefficients of the polynomial I now have learnt the name of, "the falling factorial", x*(x-1)*(x-2)*....(x-n)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook