Is there a theorem that a set of binary swaps can affect any permutation?

• I
  • Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
swampwiz
Is there a theorem that states that a set of binary swaps can result in any permutation?

For example, the original set (1,2,3,4,5) can have the swap (24) and result in (1,4,3,2,5). is there a set of specific swaps for each net result permutation?

Answers and Replies

swampwiz
I was just thinking. Since the quicksort algorithm only does binary swaps, and can sort any initial permutation order - and thus could be run in reverse to get to any permutation from the sorted set - doesn't this also prove this theorem?

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I guess the question is how do you prove quicksort actually sorts the list at the end? I think you need this theorem to prove it, or at least to substantially prove this theorem as part of your proof of the algorithms correctness

swampwiz
I wonder if anyone has done a YouTube video that does this proof without requiring a lot of abstract algebra terminology.

swampwiz
OK, I think I've got this. Given a vector of indices, a binary swap can be accomplished by concatenating it with an elementary swap matrix. Since the Gauss-Jordan reduction algorithm can decompose any matrix into a set of elementary matrices, and a permutation matrix is composed only of such elementary swap matrices, and as well because the determinant of an elementary swap matrix is -1, its inverse exists. Thus, the identity matrix can have a set of concatenations of swap matrices to get to any possible permutation.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Is there a theorem that states that a set of binary swaps can result in any permutation?
Yes, there is such a theorem. This is worded as: "The symmetric group is generated by transpositions"

Note that this overdoes it - it proves that a set of adjacent binary swaps can result in any permutation.

Likes swampwiz, sysprog and member 587159
Infrared
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This fact is much easier than it seems like you think it is. If I have the numbers 1,...,n in some order and I want to rearrange them into the standard order, then I first make a transposition to put ##1## in the first spot and leave it alone thereafter. Then I make a transposition to put ##2## into the second spot, etc.

swampwiz
This fact is much easier than it seems like you think it is. If I have the numbers 1,...,n in some order and I want to rearrange them into the standard order, then I first make a transposition to put ##1## in the first spot and leave it alone thereafter. Then I make a transposition to put ##2## into the second spot, etc.
Yes, that is the idea I was getting at in a subsequent post.

Suggested for: Is there a theorem that a set of binary swaps can affect any permutation?

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies