Properties of permutation of a set

In summary: But in this case, $A$ is not a finite set. The statement in problem 4 only applies to finite sets. Therefore, your example does not disprove the statement in problem 3.
Kiwi1
I am doing some self study of groups and can solve problem #3 but not Problem #4.

Problem 3.
Let A be a finite set, and B a subset of A. Let G be the subset of S_A consisting of all of the permutations f of A such that f(x) is in B for every x in B. Prove that G is a subgroup of S_A.

Problem 4.
Give an example to show that the conclusion of part 3 is not necessarily true if A is an infinite set.

Problem 3.
I can show that G is closed under composition and I know that inverses exist because f is a one-one permutation. So G is a sub group.

Problem 4.
First I can't see any implicit use of the fact that A is finite in my solution to part 3.

I believe that G has infinite members because for each member of G there are an infinite number of other members that permute the members of A-B in different ways.

If I let A be the positive rational no's and B =(0,1) then f(x)=x^n and x^(1/n) are in G. Seems OK.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kiwi said:
Problem 3.
Let A be a finite set, and B a subset of A. Let G be the subset of S_A consisting of all of the permutations f of A such that f(x) is in B for every x in B. Prove that G is a subgroup of S_A.

Problem 3.
I can show that G is closed under composition and I know that inverses exist because f is a one-one permutation.
You need to show not only that the inverse exists in $S_A$, but that it belongs to $G$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
You need to show not only that the inverse exists in $S_A$, but that it belongs to $G$.

1. f is a bijection from A to A. So f inverse exists in A.
2. f is also injective from B to B because if it weren't then the image of B would have fewer elements than B (not certain if this is true if B has infinite elements).
3. f is also surjective from B to B because if it weren't then (being injective) the domain B would be larger than the image B (not certain if this is true if B has infinite elements).
4. So f is a bijective function from B to B. Hence it has an inverse in B.

So my argument relights upon counting the elements in B. Presumably this does not hold if A (and hence B) have an infinite number of elements.Q4. Let A be the integers and B the positive integers. One example of f is f = x^2. Now [tex]f^{-1} = x^{1/2}[/tex] is not in G because sqrt(2) is not in G. So G is not closed under inverses when B is the positive integers.

Are my arguments sound?

Kiwi said:
2. f is also injective from B to B because if it weren't then the image of B would have fewer elements than B (not certain if this is true if B has infinite elements).
Injectivity is always preserved when we take a restriction of a function.

Kiwi said:
3. f is also surjective from B to B because if it weren't then (being injective) the domain B would be larger than the image B (not certain if this is true if B has infinite elements).
Yes, here the finite size of $B$ is used.

Kiwi said:
Q4. Let A be the integers and B the positive integers. One example of f is f = x^2. Now [tex]f^{-1} = x^{1/2}[/tex] is not in G because sqrt(2) is not in G. So G is not closed under inverses when B is the positive integers.
This $f$ is not a permutation of $A$.

If I chose A to be the positive reals and B to be the positive integers then f will be a permutation in A and G will not be closed under inversion?

Yes.

Related to Properties of permutation of a set

1. What is a permutation of a set?

A permutation of a set is a rearrangement of the elements in a set in a specific order. It is a way of organizing the elements in a set without repetition, where the order of the elements matters.

2. How many permutations can be formed from a set with n elements?

The number of permutations that can be formed from a set with n elements is n factorial, denoted as n!. For example, if a set has 4 elements, there are 4! = 4x3x2x1 = 24 possible permutations.

3. What is the difference between a permutation and a combination?

A permutation is an arrangement of elements in a set where the order matters and repetition is not allowed. A combination, on the other hand, is a selection of elements from a set where the order does not matter and repetition may be allowed.

4. How do you calculate the number of permutations of a subset of a set?

The number of permutations of a subset of a set can be calculated using the formula n!/(n-r)!, where n is the number of elements in the set and r is the number of elements in the subset.

5. What are some real-life applications of permutations?

Permutations are used in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics. Some real-life applications include analyzing DNA sequences, creating secure passwords, and scheduling tasks or events.