1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a way to easily rename an academic pdf to author names+year+title?

1. Jul 23, 2011 #1

Simfish

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2011 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You mean as opposed to right click on the file, rename, and type in whatever you want the file to be called?

4. Jul 23, 2011 #3

Simfish

Gold Member

Yes true

5. Jul 23, 2011 #4
    Adobe Bridge. Batch rename.

6. Jul 23, 2011 #5

eri

If you download Mendeley (free for all OS) you can easily search and sort your papers by year, authors, title, keywords, and more.

7. Jul 24, 2011 #6
    You could write a script that goes into the file, write some regular expressions to figure out what the author/title/whatever really is, then simply rename the file to those variables. I think it's somewhat straightforward, although I'll be honest I'm not entirely sure how easy it would be to read a PDF document. There must be some Python libraries to do that for you though. It's worth looking into I think.

EDIT: There's something called bibtex that my professor recommended to me once to store all of the papers I wanted to. I think the system is largely already in place, so probably my above comment wouldn't be the best use of your time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook