Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there an elegant way to find the singularities of an algebraic variety

1. Dec 3, 2007 #1

frb

Let V be the variety of the ideal (f)

a singular point is a point where all the partial derivatives of the f are zero.
    I know you can find singular points by writing down all these partial derivatives and also that the points are zeros of f (such as all points on the variety) and solve that system of equations. These are generally very difficult systems to solve so I wondered if there was a more elegant method to find these singular points.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2007 #2

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Have you read Cox, Little, O'Shea, Ideals, Varieties and Algorithms? One of the best books ever published.

4. Dec 3, 2007 #3

frb

No, but I was trying to avoid resorting to mere number crunching. Seems like there is no other way...

5. Dec 3, 2007 #4

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

I was thinking of computational algebra as in "symbolic computation", not numerical computation. Groebner bases are a student's best friend!

6. Dec 3, 2007 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

if by "find" you mean compute, why does "number crunching" seem inappropriate?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?