Is there an etiquette way of rejecting gifts?

  • Thread starter Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 8K views
flyingpig
Messages
2,574
Reaction score
1
Title says all, I really hate getting bad gifts and feeling want to "give back" or "owing a favor"
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I always accept gifts, regardless of what it is.
Some people are gifters, and they must gift to others. It's a way of them to show their appreciation of you.

Not to accept their gift, can dramatically hurt their feelings, and they may feel that you do not have the same appreciation of them, regardless if you have appreciation or not.

I am not a gifter, and the only times I expect gifts are Christmas and my Bday. Any other time can confuse me a bit, but I always accept them.

Simply say "thank you", and accept it.
 
If you don't want it, break it, and throw it at them. That'll teach 'em not to bother you with gifts.
 
Just give the bad gifts to someone else you don't like.
 
Insanity said:
I always accept gifts, regardless of what it is.
Some people are gifters, and they must gift to others. It's a way of them to show their appreciation of you.

Not to accept their gift, can dramatically hurt their feelings, and they may feel that you do not have the same appreciation of them, regardless if you have appreciation or not.

I am not a gifter, and the only times I expect gifts are Christmas and my Bday. Any other time can confuse me a bit, but I always accept them.

Simply say "thank you", and accept it.

+1

This post gets my vote. It's good to be gracious.
 
When people profure gifts, they are giving you a part of themselves. Accepting a gift is one of the purist ways of saying, "I value you as a human being."

It really doesn't matter whether the giver is your lover, your best friend, your brother, trusted friend, office mate, or a drug lord. Acceptance of a gift helps bring them that much closer to humanity.

You can always call the DEA later...
 
You really shouldn't reject gifts however in the case of troy I guess it's ok to leave them outside of your city from time to time. If you could explain what type of gift your getting and from what type of person that might help. I guess if I was getting bad gifts from someone I would just tell them I don't accept gifts for xyz reason and leave it at that. There are a few guys I have known that will give women that are obviously not into them gifts over and over again without getting the message. The best thing those girls could do imo is bring in some big dangerous looking guy friend and tell the other guy that's her boyfriend. Not sure if that's what's going on here.
 
Containment said:
You really shouldn't reject gifts however in the case of troy I guess it's ok to leave them outside of your city from time to time.

:smile:
 
Honestly after watching so many movies I probably wouldn't accept any gift I didn't know I was going to be getting. Like dolls filled with a powder that melts your bones like I saw in a recent fringe episode...
 
Fun fact: Gift is the German word for poison, so definitely never accept a "gift" from a German. I'm pretty sure that's why Germany and England have been at war so many times. A simple misunderstanding caused by a cross-lingual homonym.
 
caffenta said:
fun fact: Gift is the german word for poison, so definitely never accept a "gift" from a german. I'm pretty sure that's why germany and england have been at war so many times. A simple misunderstanding caused by a cross-lingual homonym.


lol!