Is there any formula for this kind of chemistry problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of solving stoichiometry problems in chemistry. The speaker is struggling with understanding the solutions to these types of problems and asks for any formulas or information that could help. The conversation also includes three specific problems involving the calculation of reactants in grams or moles. The expert explains that everything must be calculated in moles and suggests using the balanced chemical equation to determine the mole proportion between reactants and products. They also mention converting mass to moles using the molar mass of the compound.
stanton
I am suffering from this kind of chemistry problems. I think I will have bunch of these in my exam. But I can't understand this kind of problem's solutions. If you know any formula or information about this, please help.

How many grams of fluorine gas must react to give 9.26 g of sulfur hexafluoride?
What mass of calcium chloride is required to react completely with 5.00 g of sodium phosphate?
How many grams of oxygen gas must react to give 6.85 g of calcium oxide?
type of problem: how many [gram/mole] must [react/be needed] to [produce/give] x gram of p?

The official state of this problem is called [calculate amounts of reactants for a reaction in grams or moles]

You do not have to answer to these problems. But if you can give me some procedures about how the answer can be derived, I would appreciate it, because I want to know kind of formula, equation to plug values in it.

What I tried is to divide the weight I am given with the formula weight of something...can't go further. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I will try to explain it to you with a pretty simple equation.
2H2+O2=2H2O
By knowing the balanced chemical equation, you know the mole proportion between the reactants and the products. In our example, for each mole of O2 you get twice that amount of H2O moles.

Everything has to be calculated in moles, so if the problem gives you the mass of a reactant or product, you simply convert mass to moles using the molar mass of the compound or viceversa.

1. What is the general formula for calculating molarity?

The general formula for calculating molarity is M = moles of solute / liters of solution. This formula can be used to determine the concentration of a solution in mol/L or Molarity.

2. How do I calculate the pH of a solution?

The pH of a solution can be calculated using the formula pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution. This formula is commonly used in acid-base chemistry problems.

3. Is there a formula for determining the limiting reactant in a chemical reaction?

Yes, the formula for determining the limiting reactant in a chemical reaction is based on the mole ratios of the reactants. In general, the limiting reactant is the reactant that produces the least amount of product when compared to the other reactants.

4. How can I calculate the percent yield of a chemical reaction?

The formula for calculating percent yield is percent yield = (actual yield / theoretical yield) x 100%. Actual yield refers to the amount of product actually obtained in the reaction, while theoretical yield is the amount of product that would be obtained if the reaction proceeded perfectly.

5. What is the ideal gas law and how is it used?

The ideal gas law is PV = nRT, where P represents pressure, V represents volume, n represents the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin. This formula is used to calculate the properties of an ideal gas under specific conditions.