Is there any physics to this 'punch'?

• Thread starter yucheng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, finger jabs are a flashy, ineffective self-defense technique that can actually break your fingers. Traditional family fighting forms that utilize handheld weapons are more effective.
yucheng
Where the fingers (extended) go first, then only the knuckles. Is it supposed to be more effective? I believe it will break your fingers instead.

An example

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
More flashy, certainly. Never take anything from movies, animes and such seriously.

Finger jabs (look it up, if you want) do exists, but outright banned in most competition and regulated fights.
The reason is: since it's aiming for 'soft spots', it's far too dangerous. If it hits then the opponent would be crippled: if it don't then likely the attacker.

Some sites/instructors are advocating finger jabs as an effective self-defense technique.
IMO without lots of training (after which you don't need it anymore) it's far more likely that you will cripple yourself with a finger jab right away at the start of the fight than do any successful self-defense (especially since your opponent likely will get VERY angry even on a failed attempt).

So - just enjoy these shows and forget them after the closing credits.

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz, Lnewqban, topsquark and 2 others
@Rive No no I did not learn it from the anime 😂 It was some random thing school kids once talked about and tried on each other.

Last edited:
yucheng said:
@Rive No no I did not learn it from the anime 😂 It was some random thing school kids once talked about and tried on each other.
I won't say that there aren't martial arts that use this technique. Ving Tsun (better known to the West as "Wing Chun") uses all sorts of combinations to cause pain to the opponent, for example. But most will only use a finger jab as a distraction to set the opponent up for a more measured attack because, as stated above, there is as much risk to the aggressor to break their fingers as there is to the opponent to be harmed. No martial artist is going to take the risk of hurting themselves unless they feel it is necessary.

-Dan

Likes PhDeezNutz, Rive, Lnewqban and 1 other person
Cannot view the video but your question concerning physics of fighting has merit and a general answer.

Strikes, punches, kicks, etc., originate at the body's core. A small movement of your central mass balanced through hips and legs transmits through shoulders and arms to a relatively small striking area including elbows, forearms, fist (closed hand) and various hand parts ('knife edge', finger jabs, knuckle punches, etc.).

My father taught me traditional family fighting forms employing handheld weapons such as sticks, knives and quarterstaff (rods) to 'transmit energy' to opponents for defense. My mother practiced open hand informal ("street") fighting similar to aforementioned Wing Chun, attributed to religious nuns for exercise and focus.

Finger strikes can be used to extend your striking range depending on the situation and intended target but contact via elbows, forearms, and fists preserves the more delicate bones in the fingers, as the OP suggests.

1. What is the physics behind a punch?

The physics behind a punch involves the transfer of energy from the person throwing the punch to the target. This energy is generated by the muscles in the arm and is transferred through the fist upon impact.

2. How does the force of a punch affect its impact?

The force of a punch is directly related to its impact. The greater the force, the more damage it can cause. This is due to the fact that force is a product of mass and acceleration, so a heavier and faster punch will have a greater force and impact.

3. What role do Newton's laws of motion play in a punch?

Newton's laws of motion are crucial in understanding the physics of a punch. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force, which explains why a punch has to be thrown to generate movement. The second law relates force to mass and acceleration, and the third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, which explains why the person throwing the punch may also feel a force in their arm upon impact.

4. How does body mechanics affect the power of a punch?

The proper use of body mechanics, such as utilizing the legs and hips to generate power, can significantly increase the force and impact of a punch. This is because the larger muscles in the body can generate more force than just the arm muscles alone.

5. Can the speed of a punch affect its power?

Yes, the speed of a punch can greatly affect its power. This is because the kinetic energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its velocity. So, a faster punch will have more kinetic energy and therefore, more power upon impact.