1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Visual proof of being at altitude?

1. Jul 4, 2016 #1
    Hi, this may seem like an odd questions to most of you but I'd still like to ask what could be some visual proofs of being at high altitude, say 10,000 feet above sea level.

While any said proof is not extremely rigorous or untamperable and probably little more than a showy capture to add to the usual "world below" photos, I couldn't come to ideas other than taking pictures of barometer readings or capillary oxygen saturation (by a finger oximeter).
    What would you think could be some others?

Thank you

Allison

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

You could measure the boiling temperature of water.

4. Jul 4, 2016 #3
    You could measure the angular size of a landmark of known size.
    This will give you the distance above the landmark.

5. Jul 5, 2016 #4

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then you could just show a GPS reading.

6. Jul 5, 2016 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's not clear what you mean by 'proof', since it's possible to simulate altitude effects on the ground. Can you be a little more specific?

7. Jul 5, 2016 #6
    That's simple enough and is pretty solid as proof, didn't think about this :)

Pretty neat, thanks.

Thank you

By proof I mean something which shows I'm altitude (not necessarily at X altitude, even just at X > 10000 height) and is not only a selfie photo of me with a canyon below :)
    Really, I'm open to any suggestions, it's more a thing of mine rather than needing extremely rigorous proofs.

8. Jul 6, 2016 #7

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

That might be a safety violation... :wideeyed:

9. Jul 6, 2016 #8

Drakkith

If you're on a plane, sure. There are plenty of high-elevation locations around the world though.

10. Jul 6, 2016 #9

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do it retrospectively . Note your ground coordinates or just take note of prominent landmark features . Go home and find a contour map of the area . Put yourself on the map . Read off your elevation .

Ideally find a walk through computer map with real image overlays but an ordinary large scale paper map will do the job .

11. Jul 6, 2016 #10
    Maybe the OP could state the purpose in a more specific way.
    Is it this about a photograph that you want to "test" or about someone actually being somewhere above ground and being able to do measuerement.
    Post 6 mentions a photograph above a canyon.

12. Jul 6, 2016 #11
    No problem, it will be outdoors, on solid rock :)

I'll try to explain it clearer: I'd like to take a photo or video that can somehow testify (within its obvious limits and tampering possibilities) that I took that at altitude instead of sealevel.

Thank you :)

13. Jul 6, 2016 #12
    Then I don't see the problem. A picture of the ground taken from an airplane is quite obviously different from one taken from the ground.
    How would you take a picture like this from the ground level?
    http://www.richmond.ca/__shared/assets/aerial488x343_977569.jpg

If you exclude tampering, of course. You can always draw it in Photoshop.
    Or take a picture of a reduced model of a city or landscape.

14. Jul 6, 2016 #13

russ_watters

Different people looking at it may have different standards of proof - who are you trying to prove it to?

15. Jul 6, 2016 #14
    Sorry I didn't get what you wanted to say, maybe I misunderstood? I'm not trying to proof that I'm not on plane but rather that I'm at 10,000 feet.

Mostly myself, but anything that could come handy as additional future proof of my hikes.

16. Jul 6, 2016 #15
    Fill a balloon at sea level (1 atm). Take your balloon up to your elevation and measure the difference in diameter.

17. Jul 6, 2016 #16

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

18. Jul 6, 2016 #17
    Yes, and a picture taken from 10,000 feet is so different from one taken from the ground that I cannot see the problem. It is obvious which one is which.
    Being in an airplane is not relevant. I just said "taken from an airplane" as the most likely way to by at 10,000 feet.
    Even though the passenger airplanes usually fly much higher, maybe 10,000 meters rather than feet.

You still did not explained clearly what is the problem you have in mind and posters are trying to guess your mind with their answers.

19. Jul 6, 2016 #18

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At 3km, (10kfeet) the Oxygen level is sufficiently reduced to affect how breathless you get with vigorous exercise. Any higher and your brain function is also affected.

20. Jul 6, 2016 #19

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Oh, in that case, an app installed on your cell phone might work- just use your regular camera to take the selfie while holding the phone up in the photo as well (while the altitude is displayed on the screen). http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/altimeter-elevation-apps

Post pics when you get them! :smile:

21. Jul 7, 2016 #20

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IF it's a matter of photographic evidence, then a photo of a pan of boiling water with a thermometer in it would give good verification of the ambient air pressure (=altitude).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted