Visual proof of being at altitude?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for visually proving that one is at a high altitude, specifically 10,000 feet above sea level. Suggestions include measuring the boiling temperature of water, measuring the angular size of a landmark, showing a GPS reading, using a contour map, or taking a photograph or video. The purpose of these proofs is to provide evidence for personal hikes or other outdoor activities. However, there is some discussion about the effectiveness of these methods and whether they can truly prove altitude without the possibility of tampering.
Alfreds9
Hi, this may seem like an odd questions to most of you but I'd still like to ask what could be some visual proofs of being at high altitude, say 10,000 feet above sea level.

While any said proof is not extremely rigorous or untamperable and probably little more than a showy capture to add to the usual "world below" photos, I couldn't come to ideas other than taking pictures of barometer readings or capillary oxygen saturation (by a finger oximeter).
What would you think could be some others?

Thank you

Allison

Physics news on Phys.org
You could measure the boiling temperature of water.

Likes Alfreds9
You could measure the angular size of a landmark of known size.
This will give you the distance above the landmark.

Likes Alfreds9
Alfreds9 said:
I couldn't come to ideas other than taking pictures of barometer readings
Then you could just show a GPS reading.

Likes Alfreds9
Alfreds9 said:
Hi, this may seem like an odd questions to most of you but I'd still like to ask what could be some visual proofs of being at high altitude, say 10,000 feet above sea level.

It's not clear what you mean by 'proof', since it's possible to simulate altitude effects on the ground. Can you be a little more specific?

Likes Alfreds9
fresh_42 said:

That's simple enough and is pretty solid as proof, didn't think about this :)

nasu said:
You could measure the angular size of a landmark of known size.
This will give you the distance above the landmark.

Pretty neat, thanks.

A.T. said:
Then you could just show a GPS reading.

Thank you

Andy Resnick said:
It's not clear what you mean by 'proof', since it's possible to simulate altitude effects on the ground. Can you be a little more specific?

By proof I mean something which shows I'm altitude (not necessarily at X altitude, even just at X > 10000 height) and is not only a selfie photo of me with a canyon below :)
Really, I'm open to any suggestions, it's more a thing of mine rather than needing extremely rigorous proofs.

fresh_42 said:

That might be a safety violation... :wideeyed:

Likes Alfreds9
Fervent Freyja said:

If you're on a plane, sure. There are plenty of high-elevation locations around the world though.

Likes Alfreds9
Do it retrospectively . Note your ground coordinates or just take note of prominent landmark features . Go home and find a contour map of the area . Put yourself on the map . Read off your elevation .

Ideally find a walk through computer map with real image overlays but an ordinary large scale paper map will do the job .

Likes Alfreds9
Maybe the OP could state the purpose in a more specific way.
Is it this about a photograph that you want to "test" or about someone actually being somewhere above ground and being able to do measuerement.
Post 6 mentions a photograph above a canyon.

Likes Alfreds9
Fervent Freyja said:

No problem, it will be outdoors, on solid rock :)

nasu said:
Maybe the OP could state the purpose in a more specific way.
Is it this about a photograph that you want to "test" or about someone actually being somewhere above ground and being able to do measuerement.
Post 6 mentions a photograph above a canyon.

I'll try to explain it clearer: I'd like to take a photo or video that can somehow testify (within its obvious limits and tampering possibilities) that I took that at altitude instead of sealevel.

Thank you :)

Likes Fervent Freyja
Alfreds9 said:
I'll try to explain it clearer: I'd like to take a photo or video that can somehow testify (within its obvious limits and tampering possibilities) that I took that at altitude instead of sealevel.
Thank you :)
Then I don't see the problem. A picture of the ground taken from an airplane is quite obviously different from one taken from the ground.
How would you take a picture like this from the ground level?
http://www.richmond.ca/__shared/assets/aerial488x343_977569.jpg

If you exclude tampering, of course. You can always draw it in Photoshop.
Or take a picture of a reduced model of a city or landscape.

Likes Alfreds9
Alfreds9 said:
Different people looking at it may have different standards of proof - who are you trying to prove it to?

Likes Alfreds9
nasu said:
Then I don't see the problem. A picture of the ground taken from an airplane is quite obviously different from one taken from the ground.
How would you take a picture like this from the ground level?
http://www.richmond.ca/__shared/assets/aerial488x343_977569.jpg

If you exclude tampering, of course. You can always draw it in Photoshop.
Or take a picture of a reduced model of a city or landscape.

Sorry I didn't get what you wanted to say, maybe I misunderstood? I'm not trying to proof that I'm not on plane but rather that I'm at 10,000 feet.

russ_watters said:
Different people looking at it may have different standards of proof - who are you trying to prove it to?

Mostly myself, but anything that could come handy as additional future proof of my hikes.

Fill a balloon at sea level (1 atm). Take your balloon up to your elevation and measure the difference in diameter.

Likes Alfreds9
Alfreds9 said:
Sorry I didn't get what you wanted to say, maybe I misunderstood? I'm not trying to proof that I'm not on plane but rather that I'm at 10,000 feet.
Mostly myself, but anything that could come handy as additional future proof of my hikes.

Yes, and a picture taken from 10,000 feet is so different from one taken from the ground that I cannot see the problem. It is obvious which one is which.
Being in an airplane is not relevant. I just said "taken from an airplane" as the most likely way to by at 10,000 feet.
Even though the passenger airplanes usually fly much higher, maybe 10,000 meters rather than feet.

You still did not explained clearly what is the problem you have in mind and posters are trying to guess your mind with their answers.

Likes Alfreds9
At 3km, (10kfeet) the Oxygen level is sufficiently reduced to affect how breathless you get with vigorous exercise. Any higher and your brain function is also affected.

Likes Alfreds9
Alfreds9 said:

Oh, in that case, an app installed on your cell phone might work- just use your regular camera to take the selfie while holding the phone up in the photo as well (while the altitude is displayed on the screen). http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/altimeter-elevation-apps

Post pics when you get them! :smile:

Likes Alfreds9
IF it's a matter of photographic evidence, then a photo of a pan of boiling water with a thermometer in it would give good verification of the ambient air pressure (=altitude).

Likes Alfreds9
please be careful in your quest and don't end up on one of these youtube compilations;

1. What is visual proof of being at altitude?

Visual proof of being at altitude is a form of evidence that shows a person or object at a higher elevation than their surroundings. This can be in the form of photographs, videos, or physical objects that have been taken or placed at a higher altitude.

2. What are some examples of visual proof of being at altitude?

Examples of visual proof of being at altitude include aerial photographs, satellite images, drone footage, and photographs taken from a mountain or airplane. Physical objects such as flags, signs, or markers placed at a high altitude can also serve as visual proof.

3. How is visual proof of being at altitude used in scientific research?

Visual proof of being at altitude is often used in scientific research to study the effects of high altitude on various organisms and ecosystems. It can also be used to track changes in landforms and landscapes over time.

4. How can visual proof of being at altitude be authenticated?

Visual proof of being at altitude can be authenticated through various methods such as verifying the location and elevation using GPS coordinates, comparing the images with existing topographic maps, and analyzing the images for any distortions or discrepancies.

5. Can visual proof of being at altitude be used as evidence in legal cases?

Yes, visual proof of being at altitude can be used as evidence in legal cases, especially in cases involving property disputes or environmental issues. However, it is important to ensure that the evidence is authentic and can be verified by experts.