Is there anything wrong with this algebraically?

• Thread starter tahayassen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the simplification of a complex equation involving the reciprocal of two terms. It is clarified that taking the reciprocal does not change the value, and it is suggested to multiply by the reciprocal of the denominator to simplify the equation further. Ultimately, it is determined that the equation can be simplified to Sin(2x)/2.
tahayassen

Homework Statement

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7554/daumequation13237539948.png

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The denominator is two terms. If I take the reciprocal of both terms, does that change the value?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You would need to multiply by
[tex]\frac{1}{1 + \frac{\sin^2 x}{\cos^2 x}} [/tex]
Just remember that [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{A + B} \ne \frac{1}{A} + \frac{1}{B} [/itex]

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

You could simplify it to

[tex]\frac{\frac{Sin(x)}{Cos(x)}}{1+\frac{Sin^2(x)}{Cos^2(x)}} = Cos(x)Sin(x)[/tex]
by multiplying by [tex]\frac{Cos^2(x)}{Cos^2(x)}[/tex]
And then that could become [tex]Cos(x)Sin(x)=\frac{Sin(2x)}{2}[/tex]
That's about as simple as you'll be able to get it though

1. What is algebra and why is it important?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with manipulating symbols and equations to solve problems. It is important because it helps us understand patterns and relationships between numbers, and is used in many fields such as science, engineering, and economics.

2. How do I know if my algebraic expressions are correct?

To check if your algebraic expressions are correct, you can use the order of operations (PEMDAS) to simplify and solve the equation. You can also plug in values for the variables to see if they make the equation true.

3. Can I solve algebraic problems without using formulas?

Yes, you can solve algebraic problems without using formulas by using logic and reasoning. You can also use algebraic properties such as the distributive property and combining like terms to simplify the problem.

4. How can I improve my algebra skills?

To improve your algebra skills, you can practice solving various types of algebraic problems, seek help from a tutor or teacher, and use online resources such as tutorials and practice quizzes. It is also important to have a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts.

5. What are some real-life applications of algebra?

Algebra has many real-life applications, such as calculating interest rates, solving for unknown variables in physics equations, and predicting population growth. It is also used in everyday tasks like budgeting, cooking, and planning travel routes.