Proving a trigonometric identity with ##\sin^4## s and ##\cos^4## s

brotherbobby
Homework Statement
If ##\dfrac{\sin^4 x}{a}+\dfrac{\cos^4 x}{b}=\dfrac{1}{a+b}##, then prove that

##\boxed{\boldsymbol{\frac{\sin^8 x}{a^3}+\frac{\cos^8 x}{b^3}=\frac{1}{(a+b)^3}}}##
Relevant Equations
The problem (identity) exists in the first chapter of the text, and, as such, all angles ##x## are acute and only the three basic identities involving squares can be assumed :
1. ##\sin^2 x+\cos^2 x=1##,
2. ##\sec^2 x = 1+\tan^2 x## and
3. ##\csc^2 x= 1+\cot^2 x##.
1696399344353.png
Problem statement :
Let me copy and paste the problem as it appears in the text to the right.
Attempt :
Let me copy and paste my attempt. I couldn't go far, as you will see.
1696400105757.png

I couldn't progress from here. The powers of the ##\sin## and the ##\cos## are both what we want (##8##), but the denominators are squares and not the desired cubes. Also there's an extra term - what to do with it?

Request : A hint or help would be welcome.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
brotherbobby said:
Request : A hint or help would be welcome.
Try multiplying ##\dfrac{\sin^4 x}{a} \times \dfrac{\cos^4 x}{b}##

PeroK said:
Try multiplying ##\dfrac{\sin^4 x}{a} \times \dfrac{\cos^4 x}{b}##
The original equation?

brotherbobby said:
The original equation?
To put it in simpler terms: what is:
$$\dfrac{\sin^4 x}{a} \times \dfrac{\cos^4 x}{b} = ?$$

I have a different idea. Try finding ##\cos^2 x## i terms of ##a, b##.

PeroK said:
To put it in simpler terms: what is:
$$\dfrac{\sin^4 x}{a} \times \dfrac{\cos^4 x}{b} = ?$$
$$\dfrac{\sin^4 x}{a} \times \dfrac{\cos^4 x}{b} = \dfrac{\sin^4 x\cos^4 x}{ab}$$

Likes PeroK
brotherbobby said:
$$\dfrac{\sin^4 x}{a} \times \dfrac{\cos^4 x}{b} = \dfrac{\sin^4 x\cos^4 x}{ab}$$
I thought that would help, but as above there's a better idea.

PeroK said:
I thought that would help, but as above there's a better idea.
If you express ##\cos^2 x##, and hence also ##\sin^2 x##, in terms of ##a## and ##b##, the solution drops out immediately.

More generally, we have:
$$\frac{\sin^{2n}x}{a^{n-1}} + \frac{\cos^{2n}x}{b^{n-1}} = \frac 1 {(a+b)^{n-1}}$$In the sense that, if that holds for ##n = 2##, then it holds for all ##n \ge 2##.

Interesting exercise. I plot the graphs for a=1 b=2

1696456102013.png

where X = sin^2 x , Y = cos^2 x

PS a=1,b=-1/2
1696459302513.png

They seem to coincide at a point where cos^2 or sin^2 is minus.

Last edited:
It is certainly worth simplifying things by setting [itex]\sin^2 x = Z[/itex] so that [itex]\cos^2 x= 1 - Z[/itex].

Re:#10
The problem is restated as

Prove that all the three graphs
[tex]x+y=1...(1)[/tex]
[tex](1+p)x^2+(1+p^{-1})y^2=1...(2)[/tex]
[tex](1+p)^3x^4+(1+p^{-1})^3y^4=1...(3)[/tex]
intersect at a point (x,y) x>0 y>0. p=b/a > 0

You can get intersecting point of (1) and (2) by solving quadratic equation. Then check that this point is on (3) also.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your comments and responses. I want to start by responding to @PeroK 's comment (#5) which I find leads to a solution. However, I need some time with @anuttarasammyak 's suggestions in comments 10 and 12 because I have, as of yet, to understand them.

PeroK said:
I have a different idea. Try finding cos2⁡x i terms of a,b.
I work using ##\text{Mathtype}^{\circledR}##, hoping I am not violating something.

1696617687741.png

Likes anuttarasammyak and PeroK

1. How do you prove a trigonometric identity involving ##\sin^4## and ##\cos^4##?

To prove a trigonometric identity involving ##\sin^4## and ##\cos^4##, you typically use trigonometric identities such as ##\sin^2x + \cos^2x = 1## and ##\sin^2x = 1 - \cos^2x## to manipulate the expression and simplify it to a known identity.

2. What are some common strategies for proving trigonometric identities with ##\sin^4## and ##\cos^4##?

Common strategies for proving trigonometric identities involving ##\sin^4## and ##\cos^4## include using double angle formulas, Pythagorean identities, and trigonometric identities for powers of sine and cosine.

3. Can you provide an example of proving a trigonometric identity with ##\sin^4## and ##\cos^4##?

Sure! One example is proving the identity ##\sin^4x - \cos^4x = 1 - 2\cos^2x##. By using the identity ##\sin^2x = 1 - \cos^2x## and simplifying the expression, you can show that both sides are equal.

4. Are there any specific tips for dealing with ##\sin^4## and ##\cos^4## in trigonometric identities?

One tip is to look for patterns or relationships between ##\sin^4## and ##\cos^4## in the expression you are trying to prove. Using trigonometric identities to rewrite these terms in terms of each other can often simplify the expression.

5. What should I do if I get stuck while proving a trigonometric identity with ##\sin^4## and ##\cos^4##?

If you get stuck, try breaking down the problem into smaller steps and working through each step methodically. It can also be helpful to look at similar examples or consult resources such as textbooks or online tutorials for guidance.