Is there something wrong with this basic mechanics question?

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of reaction forces at point A and at the T-shaped support, and the fact that these forces are not included in the equations at the solution. It is suggested that the equations are only considering the resultant force and torque from the applied loads, and the conversation ends with one person understanding the reasoning behind the solution.
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the equations are just working out the resultant force and torque due to the applied loads only. Is this the solution? Was the question something like 'work out the resultant force and torque due to the applied loads'?

Actually, Bruce, that makes perfect sense. The problem is that I only got this without the question. But, makes perfect sense. Thanks :)

1. What is a basic mechanics question?

A basic mechanics question refers to a question that tests your understanding of fundamental principles in mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion, forces, and motion.

2. How do I know if a basic mechanics question is wrong?

If a basic mechanics question is wrong, it will typically have a logical or mathematical error in its formulation or answer.

3. Are basic mechanics questions important?

Yes, basic mechanics questions are important because they provide the foundation for understanding more complex concepts in physics and engineering.

4. How can I improve my understanding of basic mechanics?

You can improve your understanding of basic mechanics by practicing solving problems, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, and studying from reliable sources such as textbooks or online resources.

5. What are some common mistakes in answering basic mechanics questions?

Some common mistakes in answering basic mechanics questions include not considering all the forces acting on an object, using incorrect equations or units, and not clearly defining the system being analyzed.