This equation, there must be something wrong with it.

• Thread starter Psinter
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the use of "R" for radius in an equation for bar magnets. The individual is curious about this as bar magnets are not circular in shape. However, upon further reading, they found that the use of "R" refers to the relative cross-section of the cylindrical magnet.
Psinter
This question is out of curiosity. I'm not making anything with magnets, it just called my attention after spending hours clicking link after link in Wikipedia and reading stuff after stuff. I don't even remember how I got here anymore, I was reading electrostatic forces between organic molecules, but everything was connected one way or the other.

Anyway, this equation, it says for Bar magnets. As far as I'm concerned, a bar magnet is not circular or has any geometrical similarities with circles or spheres. It's rectangular.

Then, why does it has an R for radius. Isn't "radius" supposed to be a geometrical exclusive property of circles, spheres and other geometric figures containing one of those two?

I honestly think there must be something wrong with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Psinter said:
it says for Bar magnets

That's what it says in the subtitle, description says something slightly different. Reread it and it should become clear what R means.

The Bar Magnet section in the wiki link mentions, "The force between two identical cylindrical bar magnets placed end to end..."

R would be measured (edit: relative to the cross-section) of cylindrical magnet..

Last edited:
I so over-read that part. Case closed then. :)

I can understand your curiosity and confusion about this equation. It is important to always question and critically analyze scientific information. In this case, it seems like there may be a misunderstanding about the use of the term "radius" in this context.

While the term "radius" is commonly associated with circles and spheres, it can also refer to the distance from the center of an object to its edge, regardless of its shape. In the case of a bar magnet, the "radius" refers to the distance from the center of the magnet to its outer edge. This is because the magnetic field of a bar magnet is strongest at its poles, which are located at the edges of the magnet.

So, although a bar magnet may not have a circular or spherical shape, it still has a radius that can be measured and used in equations to describe its properties. This is a common practice in science, where terms may have different meanings or applications in different contexts.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the use of the term "radius" in this equation and provides a better understanding of the concept. Keep exploring and questioning, as that is the foundation of scientific discovery.

1. Is this equation incorrect?

No, the equation is not necessarily incorrect. It may just need to be adjusted or solved differently.

2. Can you explain why this equation doesn't seem to make sense?

There could be several reasons why the equation may not make sense. It could be due to incorrect input values, a mistake in the equation itself, or an error in the way it is being solved.

3. How do I know if this equation is valid?

The validity of an equation depends on its context and purpose. It is important to check the assumptions and limitations of the equation to determine its validity.

4. What should I do if I think there is an error in this equation?

If you believe there is an error in the equation, it is best to double check your calculations and assumptions. You can also seek the help of other experts in the field to review and verify the equation.

5. How can I fix this equation if it is incorrect?

The way to fix an incorrect equation depends on the specific error. It could involve adjusting the input values, correcting the equation itself, or using a different method to solve it.