Is there vaccine non-effectiveness?

• Thread starter icakeov
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello, is there such a thing as a vaccine “not having any effect” on a person, and for some reason making it a “dud” for that specific person?

I guess if the dose isn’t strong enough that could be the case, but is there such a thing of the person not “reacting” to those antibodies for some reason, or rejecting them? Or some other reason why a vaccine "wouldn't work" on a specific person.

Answers and Replies

jim mcnamara
Mentor
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4962729/Abstract
There are 2 major factors responsible for vaccine failures, the first is vaccine-related such as failures in vaccine attenuation, vaccination regimes or administration. The other is host-related, of which host genetics, immune status, age, health or nutritional status can be associated with primary or secondary vaccine failures. The first describes the inability to respond to primary vaccination, the latter is characterized by a loss of protection after initial effectiveness. Our studies concentrate on the evaluation of immunological characteristics responsible for primary vaccine failures in different (risk) populations for which the underlying mechanisms are currently unknown. Here we summarise current knowledge and findings from our studies.....
Note that "type 2" failure has components - failure to immunize, failure to maintain resistance.
Elderly populations normally require greater doses of influenza vaccine, a kind of failure to immunize.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman, icakeov and BillTre
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes, this does happen.
I have had a Hepatitis B vaccine that I did not produce antibodies to.
I should repeat it.

Likes icakeov
Many thanks!!

Likes berkeman