Is this 2 Nobel Prizes given in a single year?

• Thread starter hacivat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary: The Nobel Prize in Physics 1974 was awarded toGeorge Eugene Uhlenbeck and John Lennard-Jones “for their discovery of the electron spin liquid”In summary, the Nobel Prize in Physics for the year 2021 was shared between work specifically done in climate science and work for the discovery of the interplay of disorder and fluctuations in physical systems from atomic to planetary scales.
hacivat
Sorry for the speculative title but, I kind of think so. Both subjects are great discoveries and maybe they deserve the prize on their own (maybe not that is not my point). My point is how are they connected to each other under the vague umbrella term: "Complex systems". Their subjects are WAY different, their methods are WAY different.

I think this is the first time a physics Nobel prize is shared between totally different domains both in subject and method. Please look at the range of topics mentioned under the title "Complex systems" in Wikipedia:

"Complex systems is therefore often used as a broad term encompassing a research approach to problems in many diverse disciplines, including statistical physics, information theory, nonlinear dynamics, anthropology, computer science, meteorology, sociology, economics, psychology, and biology."

Likes aaroman
Physics news on Phys.org
:oldconfused:
What is "this"?
What prizes?
What subjects?

It also strikes me as a little strange. The physics Nobel appears to be shared between work specifically done in climate science (two of the winners share half the prize for this) and work for the discovery of the interplay of disorder and fluctuations in physical systems from atomic to planetary scales (one of the winners has the other half).

EDIT: I can see how they are related, but not as to any specific problem solved. All interesting work and nothing wrong with awarding it in this way as far as I'm concerned.

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/physics/1955/summary/
The Nobel Prize in Physics 1955 was divided equally between
Willis Eugene Lamb "for his discoveries concerning the fine structure of the hydrogen spectrum"
and
Polykarp Kusch "for his precision determination of the magnetic moment of the electron."

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/physics/1978/summary/
The Nobel Prize in Physics 1978 was divided, one half awarded to
Pyotr Leonidovich Kapitsa "for his basic inventions and discoveries in the area of low-temperature physics",
the other half jointly to
Arno Allan Penzias and Robert Woodrow Wilson "for their discovery of cosmic microwave background radiation."

• Informative
Likes BillTre, George Jones, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
OK, 1955 is definitely related topics but 1978 is a good example of two completely different subjects. Thanks for pointing that out. (And even better they were honest in their presentation by not forcing them under a vague umbrella term.)

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/physics/1954/
The Nobel Prize in Physics 1954

Max Born “for his fundamental research in quantum mechanics, especially for his statistical interpretation of the wavefunction”

Walther Bothe “for the coincidence method and his discoveries made therewith”

1. What is the significance of receiving 2 Nobel Prizes in a single year?

Receiving 2 Nobel Prizes in a single year is a rare and prestigious achievement. It indicates that the recipient has made groundbreaking contributions to two different fields of study, demonstrating their exceptional intellectual abilities and impact on the world.

2. Has anyone ever received 2 Nobel Prizes in one year before?

Yes, there have been several instances where individuals have received 2 Nobel Prizes in a single year. For example, Marie Curie received the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1903 and the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1911.

3. Are there any restrictions on the number of Nobel Prizes an individual can receive in one year?

No, there are no restrictions on the number of Nobel Prizes an individual can receive in one year. However, it is highly uncommon for someone to receive more than one Nobel Prize in a single year.

4. How are the recipients of the Nobel Prizes determined if there are 2 winners in the same year?

The Nobel Prize committees for each category are responsible for selecting the winners. In the event of 2 winners in the same year, the committees must come to a unanimous decision on who will receive the prize.

5. Does receiving 2 Nobel Prizes in a single year increase the value or prestige of the award?

While receiving 2 Nobel Prizes in one year is a remarkable achievement, it does not increase the value or prestige of the award. Each Nobel Prize is highly coveted and holds its own significance and prestige, regardless of how many prizes an individual may receive.