How Did Graphene Research Lead to a Nobel Prize in Physics?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Nobel prize Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 9K views
rhody said:
I hesitated before posting the BBC article, knowing full well that some may take offense to it. I think anything these days that stirs "Nationalist" feelings these days is not a good thing.
With what I just said, does that make sense ? No offense was intended.

Rhody...

I didn't take offense! Sorry Rhody, the last part about nationalism wasn't a reply to your post, I wasn't suggesting that you thought that or took credit for their work, I just thought it was germane to the conversation. After all, comparisons between countries were being made, and there is a tendency to associate oneself with a country.

Ygggdrasil said:
I think the statistics on laureates that Rhody posted are less indicative of which nationalities/ethnicities are more or less intelligent, but instead reflect which national governments provide the most funding for scientific research and are therefore able to attract the best scientists. Something to keep in mind as the UK plans significant cuts to science.

I know, 'apparently' other major European countries are maintaing or even increasing theirs. There's also this rather scary 'increasing the cap on tuition fees' thing being considered. Just another step the UK is taking to impede the life chances of the people who live here. Impeding the opportunity they may have to make a contribution to science (I know that just a moment ago I was arguing against nationality, but I did also say that, like Gokul, the country in which people lives does have an effect on whether or not individuals living in that country can reach their potential).
Again, sorry Rhody, that wasn't levelled at you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Impeding the opportunity they may have to make a contribution to science (I know that just a moment ago I was arguing against nationality, but I did also say that, like Gokul, the country in which people lives does have an effect on whether or not individuals living in that country can reach their potential).
Again, sorry Rhody, that wasn't levelled at you!

Nobahar,

No offense taken, Gokul and you have made a valid argument, it seems that all of Europe is in a similar predicament, attempting to bring deficits in line with spending, and to reduce existing deficits. It is a sad fact that when a period of austerity is imposed on a country, one of the first areas hit is R&D in every sector of the scientific community. That being sad, we in the US are not far behind you. When people are suffering history repeated shows that it takes little kindling to ignite Nationalism with all of it's devastating consequences. Sorry for taking this thread off topic. Wanted to make this clear.

Rhody...