1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this a BS in applied math?

1. Jul 31, 2014 #1
    :confused:

I think I finally got all my books that I need to learn the equivalent of a bs in applied math, please tell me what I'm missing.

algebra 1
    algebra 2
    geometry
    trigonometry
    pre calc
    calc 1
    calc 2
    calc 3
    analytic geometry
    probability
    stat 1
    stat 2
    differential equations
    linear algebra
    complex analysis
    numerical analysis
    differential geometry

and I got other books like boas and electrical engineering and cs math

also discrete math books, these are the paper books I have.

am I missing anything? I got 100 gigs of ebooks (and what should amount to a phd in pure math woth )but I only want to put the ones i'll use on my math usb stick.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2014 #2
    It all depends on how far and how deeply each book goes. I've seen stats 1 & 2 books that only took the subject to 'A' level not degree level.
    What do you mean by applied maths. To me it would include mechanics, electromagnetic theory up to Maxwell's equations, relativity and hydrodynamics. Possibly other areas.

4. Aug 2, 2014 #3
    I've got all my physics books, I was wondering more specifically about the math. what does 'A' level mean? I've looked at a lot of college websites to see what their curriculum was like and I think I've got it covered but I still want a second opinion.

5. Aug 2, 2014 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

To me, that stuff is part of a physics BS, not an applied math BS.

I think the OP should say what country he's in, else he'll get responses from all over the globe based on varying definitions of "applied math(s)" which may or may not match what he's thinking of.

6. Aug 2, 2014 #5
    I think that is a nice "core" curriculum of an applied math degree. You can add courses like control theory, combinatorics/graph theory, various statistics courses, etc to specialize

7. Oct 17, 2014 #6
    to wj2cho, my discrete math books cover that, I also got a students guide to maxwells equations and mathematicas for the physical sciences as well as some more mathematical methods books in pdf that I grabbed off of uni courses.

this should cover me in EE and CS.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  8. Oct 19, 2014 #7
    I wouldn't take a stats course or waste my time reading a stats book unless it was post calculus based statistics because otherwise its just watered down, useless information that you can learn in easily by doing post calculus stats

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook