Is this a conservation of energy problem?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the work done on a pendulum hanging from the ceiling. The given information includes the length of the string (1m), the mass of the object (2kg), and the displacement of the mass (.5m). The attempt at a solution involved using the equation mgh = 1/2mv^2, but the issue of finding velocity was brought up. The other person suggested drawing a sketch and using the given information to calculate the height, but the person asking the question was unsure of how to do so. The conversation ended with the suggestion to properly draw the sketch in order to solve the problem.
Lori

Homework Statement

I'm sorry but I don't have the exactly problem written down but I know the givens.

So the question involves finding work done on a pendulum hanging from the ceiling.

Homework Equations

I was given the the length of the string is 1m. That a mass hangs at the bottom of string and it's 2kg. That it displaces .5 meters to the left.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that I had to do mgh = 1/2mv^2 but then did know how to get velocity.

Any clues?
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity of what?

Did you draw a sketch? What is the height of the mass at the end (and initially)?

mfb said:
Velocity of what?

Did you draw a sketch? What is the height of the mass at the end (and initially)?
Yes I've done the sketch. There was no given height! That's why I'm kinda a bit lost and confused.

Lori said:

Homework Statement

I'm sorry but I don't have the exactly problem written down but I know the givens.

So the question involves finding work done on a pendulum hanging from the ceiling.

Homework Equations

I was given the the length of the string is 1m. That a mass hangs at the bottom of string and it's 2kg. That it displaces .5 meters to the left.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that I had to do mgh = 1/2mv^2 but then did know how to get velocity.

Any clues? [/B]
Velocity
Lori said:
Yes I've done the sketch. There was no given height! That's why I'm kinda a bit lost and confused.
But you have given mass displaced.5 meter and length of string 1meter from this you can calculate height

Likes CWatters and Delta2
Abhishek kumar said:
Velocity

But you have given mass displaced.5 meter and length of string 1meter from this you can calculate height

I'm not really recognizing how we can find height?

I don't think you have done the sketch properly. Draw the sketch and dimension where the mass is located.

Lori said:
Like this you can do

Attachments

• DSC_2241.JPG
    DSC_2241.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 361
Lori said:
There's no change in height?
You show the figure i have posted?

1. What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental law in physics which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another.

2. How do you know if a problem involves the conservation of energy?

A problem involves the conservation of energy if the total amount of energy in a system remains constant throughout the process or scenario being studied.

3. What types of systems involve conservation of energy?

Any closed system, meaning a system that does not exchange matter or energy with its surroundings, involves the conservation of energy. This can include objects in motion, chemical reactions, and even the entire universe.

4. How can the conservation of energy be applied to real-world situations?

The conservation of energy can be applied to real-world situations by using mathematical equations to calculate the energy at different points in the system and determining if it remains constant. It is often used in engineering and environmental science to design and analyze systems.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the conservation of energy?

One common misconception is that energy can be created or destroyed. Another is that energy can only change forms once, when in reality it can be transformed multiple times within a system. It is also important to note that energy can be lost to heat or other forms of energy during a process, but the total amount of energy in a closed system will still remain constant.