1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this a conservation of energy problem?

1. Dec 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm sorry but I don't have the exactly problem written down but I know the givens.

So the question involves finding work done on a pendulum hanging from the ceiling.

2. Relevant equations
    I was given the the length of the string is 1m. That a mass hangs at the bottom of string and it's 2kg. That it displaces .5 meters to the left.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking that I had to do mgh = 1/2mv^2 but then did know how to get velocity.

Any clues?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Velocity of what?

Did you draw a sketch? What is the height of the mass at the end (and initially)?

4. Dec 5, 2017 #3
    Yes I've done the sketch. There was no given height!! That's why I'm kinda a bit lost and confused.

5. Dec 5, 2017 #4
    Velocity
    But you have given mass displaced.5 meter and lenght of string 1meter from this you can calculate height

6. Dec 5, 2017 #5
    I'm not really recognizing how we can find height?

7. Dec 5, 2017 #6
    I don't think you have done the sketch properly. Draw the sketch and dimension where the mass is located.

8. Dec 5, 2017 #7

Attached Files:

9. Dec 5, 2017 #8
    You show the figure i have posted?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted